Seeking ATV and Flipover Transport Ideas

• Jamin
    Hudson, WI

First, trying to do this without a trailer. Just sold our huge 8×16 tandem flatbed and it would be nice to just load the truck and go.

What I have and what needs to get to the lake for quick 2-4 hr midday trips.

Truck: 6’9” (?) Super Duty bed
    ATV: Kodiak 450
    Flipover: Otter Cabin

Any creatives out there that might have an idea to get the ATV and Cabin to the lake?

Most days I’ll likely just take the ATV but would like the option to take the Flipover on colder days when I have more time and it’s worth bringing the extra gear.

Guessing it will be tough but don’t want to consider all options exhausted yet.

Thanks!

Cameron white

Search mad Ramps.

Or you could do the hitch mounted bed extender too. Load your quad, then put the bed extender in and a piece of plywood. You have ramps already to load the quad, use them to pull the flip over up.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Mount a hitch rack to the 4 wheeler for the house. Have it go up aways so you don’t have clearance issues or if you can close your tailgate, in my opinion, 6.5’x12-14 foot aluminum utility trailers are pretty handy though.

B-man

Wheeler in the truck bed, shack on a hitch hauler.

I used to haul my shack in a hitch hauler on the ATV when using a sled bed, but I don’t think it’d would clear loading into a truck.

mazak500
    South West Michigan

put wheeler in truck first. Slide ramp under wheeler. leave tail gate down and put shanty in long ways (across the tailgate) and then take two ratchet straps and go from your receiver hooks up around to the tie downs in corner of truck bed.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Search mad Ramps.

Those are pretty cool but I think the hitch cargo rack might suffice for a lot less money. Had completely forgotten about those things. Thanks all for reminding me about those!

I wonder how much road salt and grime my flipover would be exposed to sitting on a hitch cargo rack? Anyone put their shack on one of those and driven down the typical MN/WI highway that has first hand experience?

Might be the easiest/cheapest solution if my shack won’t get destroyed and I buy long enough ramps to clear the hitch carrier so I don’t need to remove it from the receiver each time I load and unload the wheeler.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

put wheeler in truck first. Slide ramp under wheeler. leave tail gate down and put shanty in long ways (across the tailgate) and then take two ratchet straps and go from your receiver hooks up around to the tie downs in corner of truck bed.

Just assumed I’d never get both in the bed. Another great idea! My truck isn’t supposed to arrive at the dealer for a couple months. Maybe I need to go grab one off the lot for a “test drive” and bring it home and do some test fitting. mrgreen

Super excited to be getting away from my useless 5.5′ truck box. So used to nothing fitting…hell, my shack alone barely fits unless I give the tailgate a persuasive nudge.

B-man

Search mad Ramps.

Those things look nice!

I like how it leaves some room in the bed.

Pretty sweet idea if you don’t plan on pulling a trailer.

dbright
    Cambridge

I had a buddy that would load his wheeler then a sheet of 3/4 plywood under the rear tires hanging about a foot past the tailgate. Set the house on sideways and strapped it down.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Get a hitch rack that fits in the hitch reviewer of your 4 wheeler to haul your shack on. It will keep it out of road spray better than a hitch rack that is mounted in your truck.
    You could also get or make a larger rear rack for your wheeler if you can get your shack up that high solo.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve done it two ways. Empty and strap to the back of the wheeler upside down (not fun). Or use a canoe hitch extension, easy.

Attachments:
    1. truck1.jpg

2. truck.jpg

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I’m either going to go the hitch carrier route or possibly the plywood route hanging off the back of the tailgate. Guess I need to take some measurements and lay it out.

The canoe extension is slick, but I don’t want to have to remove and reinstall that every time I load/unload the ATV.

Too much gear… doah

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Hoping after taking some measurements this work because this would be the simplest route. The ATV is 80″ long it appears so I may need a small piece of plywood under the ATV and extending the tailgate a bit to make the shack fit sideways but at least being up in the bed it would keep things clean.

gator800r

I’ve done it two ways. Empty and strap to the back of the wheeler upside down (not fun). Or use a canoe hitch extension, easy.

I want to see more pictures of your tractor trunk set up!!

KPE
    River Falls, WI

@Merican Eagle I did exactly this last season. Thought I was the only one! It works great. yes, you have to pull the extension to drive the wheeler down. I didn’t mind much. My ideal situation would be a trailer long enough to drive the shack and wheeler on still connected as one piece, but that isn’t in the cards right now due to space constraints.

I have a small 4×8 trailer that I’ll be trialing this season to see how it works. I’m always in search of new ways to transport gear and most importantly get off shore and onto the ice. My primary metric is time to jig- how long does it take to get from parking the truck to dropping a line. the best days are late season 20 deg + with driveable ice. Exit truck, drill hole, drop line.

Garrett Van Gorden

I know you want to use the flipover you have, but if you are set on not using a trailer, you should maybe pickup a hub style shanty and use that as shelter the few times that you will bring out a shack.
    Much easier to transport than the flip over.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

I know you want to use the flipover you have, but if you are set on not using a trailer, you should maybe pickup a hub style shanty and use that as shelter the few times that you will bring out a shack.
    Much easier to transport than the flip over.

You’re right and I have one but prefer my flipover for ease of moving. Never us my hub because it’s kept me from moving when I probably should have.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

This is what I do.

Attachments:
    1. ED2C4CF7-DEC1-482A-A3C7-DDC3C31AD82A.jpeg

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Sweet setup, @glenn-d! Any details on that rack on the back of your ATV?

Edit: okay, blew up your picture. Looks like 18″ receiver extension tube -> funky “Z” riser bar (home made?) -> to receiver hitch carrier. Am I close?

Also, side question– medium or larger Otter Monster Box?

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Jamin that’s a large Monster Box and yes a 18” extension (Amazon) and the carrier believe it or not is Amazon also. I just had to assemble it but since it was made in China I had to drill out some of the holes since they didn’t line up. In the pick is my Hideout on there but I also carry my Cottage on there too. On the ice it’s so much better than dragging my shack around bouncing all over the place.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Good stuff, thanks Glenn! I like the idea…I’m seeing two options with a setup like that:
    1) use it like you do on the wheeler. I’m just not sure I want to be lifting my Cabin up and off that every time I want to move. Or I keep my tow bar on and while on the ice between moves I just tow it to avoid the up/down lifting.
    2) use that riser bar and hitch carrier on my truck to get the flipover up behind the tailgate to minimize road salt accumulation. I’d have to remove it while loading and unloading, but I could just use a locking hitch pin to keep someone from walking off with it while on the ice.

I’m assuming your house stays pretty clean when on the road being that high up behind the pickup? Also, guessing no issues with bending or deformation either on the ATV receiver or the extension & riser bar from excessive leverage?

Hmmm, so much to contemplate. coffee Thankfully I have a bit of time still.

munchy
    NULL

Glenn do you have a link to the platform?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Just a fyi for those who are maybe searching online, that’s a medium Otter Monsterbox, they stopped selling the Large box many years ago.

GlennD – What’s the reason for the added side strap locks on the monsterbox? Have you had the stock door latch fail before?

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Joe my lock never did close right since I got it so I went the strap route so it wouldn’t be bouncing open.

Jamin I’ve never had any concerns for anything bending as it seems pretty beefy and when moving short distance on the ice I too just hook my tow strap up to the rear of the carrier. I have a large carabiner on my rope for that it snaps right over the square tubing. It doesn’t seem to get dirty at going down the road. Only thing I don’t like is loading with my ramps going up that angle. I have super duty ramps so I’m not worried about the support it’s just the angle that freaks me a little.

Munchy just search Amazon or Google for ATV receiver carrier and there’s numerous ones. Harbor Freight has a good one and Cabela’s also.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Thanks again, @glenn-d for sharing your setup and answering all my questions. toast

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.