See ya soon Big Pond!!

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Made it out for a few hours today running lead. Caught 19 fish that ranged from 14″-26″, marked about 20x that many. It was a warm one, but water temps were only around 72-74 degrees. It was a great time on the pond as usual, and I’m pumped to get back there in a month…OR sooner for some smallies/musky!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1448.jpg

2. IMG_1443.jpg

3. IMG_1445.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Some nice fish right there. I’m gonna miss those walleyes. Hopefully we see a late summer/ fall season.

They’re starting to look awfully skinny though. frown

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Some nice fish right there. I’m gonna miss those walleyes. Hopefully we see a late summer/ fall season.

They’re starting to look awfully skinny though. frown

The fish aren’t that skinny. It just looks that way because BigWerm is just that…uh, big?
    I have been hearing more and more chatter/rumors from the concerned parties (business owners) that they are almost convinced the DNR will not reopen after the closure. That which would be a huge kick in the groin for them because I am sure many were encouraging and accepting reservations for when it was to reopen. Let’s hope it is just a demoralized mindset they are having and that their fears are unwarranted and the lake does reopen when promised by the DNR in 3 weeks. Ha…some say promises were meant to be broken. Now I sound like they do. neutral

Anyway, I am already planning some fall muskie fishing this year. I should have some open seats so…?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Those fish are skinny…as are many others I’ve seen from the Pond.

There’s a reason it’a not uncommon to hear reports of 30+ large fish in the boat on one outing. A forage issue clearly exists. Those fish are starving and there’s too many large predators in the lake.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have no idea if they are skinny for this time of year or not. I just looked at some pics from Leech and Rainy that looked similar imo. But there is a ton of food in Mille lacs rt now. We marked bait balls and fish consistently the entire time we were out, if they were starving we should have caught a lot more! woot

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I was there Sunday the 2nd of July and we caught many big fish over 24″ and I’ll tell ya them fish are starving. We’re on path for a bigger disaster than we’ve ever seen on Mille lacs. A large fish die off from Shortage of forage.

Correct.

A body of water simply cannot support a growing population of very large smallmouth, muskies, pike, and 24+ inch walleyes, all while the forage competes with rising summer water temperatures and the impact of zebra muscles on the food chain. Nature is going to “fix itself” as the lake is beyond its carrying capacity for predatory fish. Walleyes are the most fragile…and the population will decline considerably in the coming years. It’s basic Biology and there isn’t a thing that the DNR, angry anglers, resort owners, Natives, etc. will be able to do to prevent it. (Human actions will likely just expedite it)

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Well if they’re starving and willing to eat anything seems to be a good time to start trolling around some 8″ baits egh whistling

Kyhl
    Savage

I actually look forward to the closure. Everyone that visits me wants to walleye fish. I get sick of walleye fishing every day. Last weekend was great that my dad finally wanted to pike fish.

I’m looking forward to the next month of fishing. woot

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

How could they keep it closed if the quota isn’t met? A lawsuit would certainly keep it open.

Same thing that happened last year when they kept it open and the tribes filed lawsuit to close it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Well now since Ben and BuckyBadger confirmed it, we can put that to rest. I’m sure the continuous bait balls we were marking all over the lake, were a technical error. Same with the dozens and dozens of marks that didn’t bite…

@Biggill I don’t think they could close it without reaching the quota, but they are using a mythical # (imo, hooking mortality) so making it align with their agenda would be pretty easy.

Since this thread derailed in short order, which is apparently mandatory for any Mille Lacs thread, anyone going to the on the water protest of Governor Goofy bass fishing the lake this weekend?

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

is it possible those bait balls on your screen are bug clouds and not forage fish? That was suggested to me after my recent trip to ML. Just throwing it out there.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

jeez, cant a guy post a picture of some fish he caught and just get an atta boy. shock

Nice Fish Bigwerm! Glad you had some fun

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

is it possible those bait balls on your screen are bug clouds and not forage fish? That was suggested to me after my recent trip to ML. Just throwing it out there.

Regardless of the specie, bugs, minnows, or small fish, I believe all would be considered food to Mr. Walleye.
    I’ve spent my fair share of time on the lake this season and I think there is plenty of bait out there. Countless bait balls on the mud, north sand, and deep gravel. The bite is still good but not like it was. Lots of marks that don’t bite now days. Typical summer behavior if you ask me…
    Nice fish Big Werm, looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Absolutely nice fish! And I wasn’t trying to stir up the pot, just repeating what was suggested to me after reporting seeing several large bait balls on my day there recently.

big_g
    Isle, MN

the lake is having a mini-repeat of 2001…. IMHO. That’s why the shutdown…but what do I know ? doah

BigWerm
    SW Metro

pool2fool wrote:
    Regardless of the specie, bugs, minnows, or small fish, I believe all would be considered food to Mr. Walleye.
    I’ve spent my fair share of time on the lake this season and I think there is plenty of bait out there. Countless bait balls on the mud, north sand, and deep gravel. The bite is still good but not like it was. Lots of marks that don’t bite now days. Typical summer behavior if you ask me…

Agreed, if any fish were “starving” I’m sure they would be all over the bug hatches….or rapala’s ran by their nose. That is not the case imo.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I think too it should be noted that the YOY baitfish typically do not become available as forage until they reach a certain size and move out into the lake basin. This is the way it is on almost any water and is usually starting in July. Historically this is the time when the walleye bite drops off as you get into August “dog days” of summer. grubson is correct in saying “Typical summer behavior if you ask me…”
    Mille Lacs is well known for its massive bug hatches which may not be primary forage for walleyes but is the food source that can support the growing bait fish.

jeez, cant a guy post a picture of some fish he caught and just get an atta boy. shock

Nice Fish Bigwerm! Glad you had some fun

I do get your point crappie but a thread consisting of only “atta boy” is not all that much of a conversation. Conversely I get BigWerms frustration in that posting about an enjoyable outing was infiltrated by some “Debbie Downer” comments but that is what these forums entail and there’s always that risk once you post something. They have a right to post their opinions whether we like or not like or agree/disagree with them. That is the nature of an open forum.

FWIW, I am not convinced that the “sky is falling” on Lake Mille Lacs future. It is a great lake and I am optimistic it will be for some time.

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

Having been on Onaman Lake in Ontario 2 weeks ago and Mille lacs last weekend I found the walleyes to be about the same as far as fatness. In addition the Mille lacs walleyes have been very similar to this during July for the past 10 years imo.

One thing to remember, speaking of biology is that fish are cold blooded and as the water temp goes up so do their Metabolisms. Which means they burn off most of what they eat very quickly.

As far as bug balls, they appear quite different from bait balls to me on my graph. Not saying I can prove that or that I am always correct in identifying them.

David Blais

We were on the pond sunday. We boated 50+ healthy fish. 10 were 25″+. I did not notice any starving fish.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

To me those are skinny walleyes. No horse in this race though so atta boy bigwerm!

Ripjiggen

That a boy bigwerm. Been fishing that lake for 20 plus years and those walleye are very typical for this time of year. Was on leech 2 weeks ago and they look about the same. They are plenty healthy. I have been out a bunch this year and most of the baitfish are still in shallow and very small. I did see some baitfish not bugs out on the mud. Yes most of balls are bugs but with structure scan you can definitely see a difference. Seen several schools this past weekend in just a couple feet of water. Definitely more lookers than takers this past week which is also typical as the water warms and their metabolism slows. Water temps have remained cool so far this summer. Looking back on my logs water is typically 4-6 degrees warmer. Was 68 before the warm weather. 2001 the fish were definitely way skinnier and fought a lot less than now. I think the lake is as healthy as it has been for walleyes. It is a shame they can’t keep the lake open. Great Lake to take kids walleye fishing, showing them different tactics and teaching them about cpr….Just my 2 cents.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

That a boy bigwerm. Been fishing that lake for 20 plus years and those walleye are very typical for this time of year. Was on leech 2 weeks ago and they look about the same. They are plenty healthy. I have been out a bunch this year and most of the baitfish are still in shallow and very small. I did see some baitfish not bugs out on the mud. Yes most of balls are bugs but with structure scan you can definitely see a difference. Seen several schools this past weekend in just a couple feet of water. Definitely more lookers than takers this past week which is also typical as the water warms and their metabolism slows. Water temps have remained cool so far this summer. Looking back on my logs water is typically 4-6 degrees warmer. Was 68 before the warm weather. 2001 the fish were definitely way skinnier and fought a lot less than now. I think the lake is as healthy as it has been for walleyes. It is a shame they can’t keep the lake open. Great Lake to take kids walleye fishing, showing them different tactics and teaching them about cpr….Just my 2 cents.

2 cents?………………..easily worth a quarter! applause applause

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Ripjiggen…a visitor from LSF? How could I forget. Your post suggests you have been out there and good info. One thing though, as water temps rise, the fish metabolism increases…does not slow. That occurs during winter. For that we’ll need to deduct a cent, so you get one cent. Dutchboy will never owe up to that quarter. jester

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

I’m an LSF (cesspool) runner.. Andy, BTW, your clam 6800 was used to ice many tonka crappie, will continue, thank you!

Give my best to Steve & Joe!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

And yet the dnrs mortality rate jumped above last year’s rate at this time. There are 2 more time periods to be posted by the dnr. I suspect the June 15-30 will be a very high mortality rate even though the weather was unseasonably cool.

We are still slightly under 1/2 the angler total.

To say the lake is healthy is only partially true. It is on course to repeat what it has done several times. Too many big walleyes always precedes a crash. The only difference today is the presence of smaller fish.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

It’s to bad we don’t hear from Steve Fellegy any more,his insights and lifetime of fishing Mille lacs are severely missed IMHO.
    Alot of people don’t like what he has said, but if you read watch and follow what he and his brother Joe publish, you can take that information to the bank.
    I have a lot of trepidation and have trouble listening or reading posts from the lake experts who have fished Mille lacs
    For only the past 10- 15 years. (NETTING YEARS)

A lifetime on the lake carries the experience and knowledge that I like to hear and carry as a valuable resource.

coffee

Xbomber8X
    Sartell, MN

Wow!! Literally cannot share any fun or positive report on mille lacs without all the fun killers and political Nazis jumping in and DESTROYING it!! Great work Worm!! Mille lacs is an amazing fishery!!

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Sorry to ruffle some old feathers here, but does anyone have any knowledge on whether to expect another walleye shutdown on mille lacs this summer? Or possibly when this could be determined? The star trib wrote an article about it for the first time on March 21st last year, so maybe soon?

Looking to book a cabin on Mille lacs (anyone have a recommendation?) for the middle week of June, but really don’t wanna get burned and be forced to fish for bass doah

Bass_attack

Sorry to ruffle some old feathers here, but does anyone have any knowledge on whether to expect another walleye shutdown on mille lacs this summer? Or possibly when this could be determined? The star trib wrote an article about it for the first time on March 21st last year, so maybe soon?

Looking to book a cabin on Mille lacs (anyone have a recommendation?) for the middle week of June, but really don’t wanna get burned and be forced to fish for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass doah

Even if they do have a shutdown you should be fine booking for that week as the shutdowns are usually later in the summer than that

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.