Season 15 Episode 15 – James Holst's PB ICE Walleye!

• Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

James Holst, PJ Vick, Nick Fasse, and Ryan Bettinger head to Lake Erie to target giant great lakes walleyes!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Well done James!

Do you back reel all time? and when you back reel where do you set your drag?

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

What were the final measurements of that pig?

Ripjiggen

Nice fish I assume that made up for the air boat getting stuck. applause

chubs1018

Congrats on the trophy James, he will look amazing on the wall!!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

What were the final measurements of that pig?

James covers that on the video at 26:55. waytogo

-J.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Congratulations James! A heck of a fish and you guys got it on camera. Some reward for the work you guys had to do to get out there.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Well done James!

OMG James what a fish congratulations.

I have fished with James a few times he is the one that taught me to back reel mostly on bigger fish, drag is set as one would normally set it, more consistent then using the drag on a big fish. There is more feel for how hard the fish is pulling versus just letting the drag take care of it especially on big fish when they go to shaking that big head. As drag may not react quickly enough or stick just a touch on fish that may not be hooked solid. I think I explained it right if not then James will be along..

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Great fish James! Fun adventure as well. Thanks for bringing us all along waytogo

shockers
    Rochester

Wow. What an awesome fish. Congrats James! And great assist PJ!

Show us all the mount when it’s done.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well done James!

Not on small fish but any time I connect with a bigger walleye I prefer to back reel. When you’re back reeling the drag doesn’t come into play so I just leave it where I would normally have it for hooksets.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well done James!

OMG James what a fish congratulations.

I have fished with James a few times he is the one that taught me to back reel mostly on bigger fish, drag is set as one would normally set it, more consistent then using the drag on a big fish. There is more feel for how hard the fish is pulling versus just letting the drag take care of it especially on big fish when they go to shaking that big head. As drag may not react quickly enough or stick just a touch on fish that may not be hooked solid. I think I explained it right if not then James will be along..

Tom nailed it. I’m a control freak when it comes to tension on a fish as you try to work it through an ice hole. Back reeling gives me the ability to keep the tension perfect from start to finish.

Timmy

Edit….. I just saw the weight posting. Wow what a hog.

Great fish!! Congrats!

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Great fish James. Must not have been much room left in the hole getting it to fit through.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

Well done James, that deserves to go on the wall… I finally got my PB eye 31.5 ” 7″ girth 11 lbs 9 oz Rainy Lake brute ..I look at it every day.. Congrats..

basseyes

Congrats on a great fish! Cool looking fish too! Not sure if it’s just cause of how big it is but almost looks like a big zander or a snook with the sloped head. Be interesting to know how old the fish is? Vick was all business and fun to see a guy keep calm when he saw how big that fish was down the hole, and man he nailed it at all of 32″es. Fun seeing the struggle with the airboat and sketchy ice conditions lead to a magnificent fish like that. Great show and really enjoy seeing the logistical challenges behind the scenes vs just the fish catching.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Congrats, James! Heck of a catch!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishnutbob wrote:</div>
    7″ girth

Boy oh boy, with those measurements I bet it fought like a big ole wet tube sock! jester

Pretty sure that’s a typo. Bob has caught more eye’s than 99.999% of the people on IDO I’d wager.

Congrats James! Way better than a snowball to the face! jester

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Congratulations Mr.Holst that is a great trophy.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Way better than a snowball to the face!

Or 7! I heard you earned your last payday!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Great fish James! Congrats! waytogo waytogo

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Once in a lifetime fish, congrats applause

Always said I’d have my 1st 30” eye mounted, took me til age 40 to do so, on Tonka. Since then have six more from Tonka with the largest at 32.5”, did a replica mount. 20yrs later, my real mount looks like a yellow, dried out sun burnt yuck, compared to the replica that looks like it just came from the water.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Once in a lifetime fish, congrats applause

Always said I’d have my 1st 30” eye mounted, took me til age 40 to do so, on Tonka. Since then have six more from Tonka with the largest at 32.5”, did a replica mount. 20yrs later, my real mount looks like a yellow, dried out sun burnt yuck, compared to the replica that looks like it just came from the water.

Totally agreed on the replica. I will be doing one of each. Replica will grace my wall here at my home and the skin mount will live at the studio.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Great plan. The memories you can only hope to build on. People slam Tonka, as I do, only cause I’ve been there for 50+yrs. pure love/hate relationship

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Nice Work, James!! I’ve been out there to Lake Erie 5 times. I’ve seen close to a dozen fish over 30″. But, Only one was over 32″ and it was a tank like that! Congrats!!

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

What a beautiful BEAST!

Congrats to all the crew who allowed this bite to take place. What a day to remember. Look forward to seeing both mounts. Super cool idea.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.