Trout

• jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

The black hills have awesome trout fishing. I was wondering if anyone on the site ever takes advantage of this fishery. Its a great place to fish mountain streams that is a little closer to home than the rocky’s. I vacation with my family out there and fish every morning (and throughout the day when possible). It is not uncommon for me to catch 30 plus trout in a couple hours in the morning(of course as fishing going, i do hit my bad part of the streams too). One day i walk a ways in and caught 157. These trout though werent very large on the average. Anyways i was just wondering if any of you trout fish the black hills. I came to the south dakota fourum hoping to find a black hills section but since there isnt one thought i would post in the general.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Probably not common knowledge Jason…I appreciate the “heads up” though!
    What area did you fish?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Are these streams spring fed or are they supplied by run-off? Growing up as a trout guy in SE MN spring-fed streams are very familiar to me.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

James i believe they are run-off though i am not 100% for sure on that. Tom, My favorite creek is Rapid Creek. I fish the creek both above and below Lake Pactola. In recent years thought below the dam the creek has formed a type of white (for the lack of a better word). It doesnt feel to slimey but is on the bottom of the creek, on rocks, and logs and gets stuck on my spinners. I think the high temps out there a few years ago may have caused it but this is just my guess. Spearfish creek is another creek i love. This a a bueatiful creek. The names of the other creeks are excaping me right now for some reason, but rapid creek is by far my favorite. I dont know the regulations on any of the creeks because i catch and release all of my trout on artifical lures. I dont like the taste of trout when i can have panfish and walleye. But if any of your ever are in the black hills definately give it a try. There is hatchery in Rapid City where you can get more info on where to access the creeks if u ever make it out there.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Trout fishing the black hills is quite the little secret. Most/all the creeks are spring fed, they hills just aren’t tall enough to get a real snow cap. The state does a lot of stocking in those creeks, especially in the high tourist areas. One cool place to visit is the hatcheries. They have some mongo fish in them. Occasionally a nice big brown will slip out into Spearfish creek!! I love the black hills area!!!!

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

I didnt get a big brown but i caught a 24 1/2 inch rainbow in rapid. No pics or weight as i let it go for someone else to catch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.