Lake Thompson

• Ironguts
    Sioux Falls, SD

Well I put together a small tournament on this lake last weekend for friends & co-workers. The plan was to keep it cheap, fun & put some fisherman & a few fish in the boat. Each team got to weigh in 3 fish per person & of course you had to follow the SD state regulations for those 3 fish. Oh I almost forgot we had a “Crap Fish” side pot, that always makes it interesting. Well to start things off we woke up to a cool 36 degrees out side. I thought for a second I was going duck hunting & was really wishing & I had the clothing along for that. On top of the temps we had a 15 to 25 MPH wind out of the south so the waves were really a rolling by the time they reached the north end @ the state park boat ramp.

So here is how it broke down, basicaly 10 out of the 13 teams pulled live bait all day. Myself & couple of other teams plugged it hard. The winning boat along with the 2nd place team pulled live bait. The winning boat had a 3.45 pound average per person & they did have their limit, the only team to accomplish this. So a little over a 1lb fish average. The second place team was a two man team with a 3.06 weight per person. They only had two fish, a 15″ & a nice 5 pound walleye. On top of that they had a 10.54 carp so they won the crap fish pot too. To top it all off they did it in the smallest & cheapest boat in the tournament, a 14 ft alumacraft with a vintage 1960’s 18HP Evinrude. I think they got a little wet & I know they didn’t go much more than a few hundred hards from the dock. Yours truely came in 3rd with a 2.95 average. The worse part was I had 4 in the boat, my brother his girlfriend & my wife. So with the 3 fish weigh in per person we needed 12 fish, that never happened but what did happen made my brothers day. We cranked in a nice 8.1lb 28″ walleye. This was his biggest ever & he was pumped up, lots of high fives in the boat. So he’s putting it on the wall, his 1st ever so I was very proud to be a part of that.

All in all it was a very tuff bite, the cold front didn’t help but we all know that’s the way it goes. The overall average was about 1 fish per person, & most of those fish were caught right away in the morning. The live bait fisherman caught fish on leeches & crawlers & spinners. The 5 lber came off a straight hook & crawler, I think the carp was the same ticket. Our best luck cranking was #5 Walley Divers, #5 Shad raps & jointed shads. Pulled some Storm Thundersticks & Reef runners & they didn’t produce a strike.

Good luck out there!

Ironguts

scottsteil
    Central MN

Thanks for the report Ironguts. We were out on Sunday also and it was nice at first then got really nasty. We ended up calling it a day at about 2 because we were freezing. Congrats to your brother on the nice fish!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.