Webster Fishing

• irishman

I have been hearing a lot of great reports about the fishing in the South Dakota prairie lakes in the Webster area, lakes like Waubay, Enemy Swim & Bitter Lake. I finally pulled the trigger and made the road trip from the Twin Cities out to Webster this past weekend. Before we left the Twin Cities I reached out to Quintin Biermann who lives in the Webster area. Quintin was super happy to talk about the fishing in the area, what has been working, what was hot, what is not. Clearly Quintin has a passion for the outdoors. He knows the area and was more than willing to put us on the spot-on-the-spot. Although Quintin was out of town, he kept in continued contact, by cell, with us over the weekend, checking to see how we were doing and suggesting alternative locations when things inevitably slowed.

For me, crossing over the border into SD is a calming event. I am sure it has a lot to do with being away from the stresses of work and home. Maybe you can relate to the feeling of how great it is to be out on the prairie. I love the long views and the awesome sunrises & sunsets.

South Dakota has some much to offer an outdoorsman. I have been on some fantastic pheasant and duck hunts in SD. And a few years back we went on a series of spring turkey hunts on the Sisseton Reservation. I have a lot of great memories of turkey hunting in the Sisseton area with my son. We call those trips “Fun with Trucks & Guns”. But that is another story.

This trip revealed yet another great resource that SD has to offer, fishing. Everyone in our small group was amazed at the amount of water, so many different places to fish, the number of different species, the size & quantity of fish. We caught some really nice fish. And we caught a lot of fish, including good numbers of pike and walleye! My brother Joe caught a 36″ pike (a personal best), my largest walleye was a beautiful 26″ walleye. The pike and walleye came off Bitter Lake and the smallie came off Waubay.

On our way home on Sunday we opted to fish Big Stone Lake. There were 25 trailers at the landing, so we knew that something was up. One of the locals approached us as we were about to launch and protested that the perch were not biting, “you should have been here 2 weeks ago”. We launch anyway. The wind was a real challenge. Once we were on the water we did not have to go far to find a half dozen boats stacked up on a point in 6 FOW.

It did not look like anyone was catching fish so was looked around with side & down imaging and found some rocks and weed growth, clumps really, they came all the way up to the surface in 6 FOW and were only about 2 or 3 feet in diameter. Those weed clumps were scattered around the area we fished. We thought that the rocks and weed clumps looked like good structure and anchored up to bobber fish (everyone else was jigging). We used 1/16th oz. panfish jigs with crappie type tube baits and tipped them with a minnow head or maggots. I found perch in the first 2 minutes. The key was to have the bait sitting on the bottom. If the bait was 6 inches or more off the bottom you would not get a bite. That might be why all the boats that ended up anchoring near us did not catch fish, and eventually left. I assume that the 2 foot waves gave the jig movement under my bobber. We had consistent action all afternoon. When we pulled the anchors at 4:00PM, we were the only boat in sight on the water. We had fished from 12:00 – 4:00PM.

I cannot wait to go back.

irishman

Here are some pictures of the fish from our trip to Webster.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

did you guys hear the owls while the sun was going down? Q is an outstanding resource that’s for sure. We were told about the that perch bite, but the day where the Minnesota guys could have stopped to fish was not only windy, but raining. They decided to drive on by. Can’t wait for ice up!

irishman

Chomps – When are you going out there to go ice fishing? Have you done the early spring fishing out there?

Did not hear the owl. The perch tasted amazing. My wife cooked it up in beer batter and what did not get eaten the other night was eaten the next day as left overs. It is all gone. I would love to go back for seconds this weekend.

Q was so helpful. The guy really wants to see you catching fish. I look forward to meeting him at some point.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

we are thinking of just heading up once the ice is safe. We will be driving through the second weekend in January on our way to Mobridge and will fish on Bitter for a few hours. We are thinking about moving our Winni trip over to this area in March. Nothing set in stone. We usually are on Lake Francis Case in the spring, Mille Lacs over opener, but one old timer we talked to said that they catch walleyes on that same stretch in the spring. Did you find any blue jig heads in any of those pike?

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

If I am not around someone might as well be catching some fish. Three days of running pheasant clients had me ready to put the feet up come monday night. The weather was perfect for fishing, but I opted for a small duck slough near my house for an evening getaway. Ice up is different each year as wind and even waterfowl play a big role in good safe ice forming. I consider good safe ice atleast 3 incehs maybe 4 just because I am a chicken like that. As far as the season goes I spend alot of time on the ice in december, January I am planning on doing some goose hunting and being out of state alot. Mid february is a race to the finish, the big perch are the fattest they will be and are on the chow at this time. A group of guys working a large section of a lake and some teamwork is bound to run into a hungry school that makes for awesome action. – QB

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.