Sioux Falls area shore fishing

• STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Ill be working in the area for a few weeks and I know SD has some good fishing. I’m not much of a bar fly anymore so Im looking into my fishing options. I don’t really have a spot for the boat, so does anyone have any input on shore fishing in the area. I’m willing to drive a half an hour or so. Thanks.

I’m willing to chase any species.

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

Lake Thompson in evening. Bobber fish until dark for northern and perch, then wade out on old road bed with twister or shad rap/rapala at dark. Used to wait around until midnight and get another limit before getting some sleep.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Thanks for the info. I looked it up on the map. Are you talking about fishing from the rec area? Looks like an hour and a half drive. May be a little far but, if the bite is good it may be worth the drive. Thanks again.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

The sioux river right in town by the park has channel cats in it. trout too supposedly, but I spent most of my time just below the falls cat fishin.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Lake Thompson is an hour and a half away, but probably worth it, especially toward dark. Stop into dakota angler bait shop off of benson/north cliff ave., and ask about conditions on oldham grade- and ask him if the north shore grade has water coming through the culvert from Henry. You will catch smallies and northerns until primetime, and then it can be absolutely ridiculous as the eyes come in. Jig crawler, jig twister, countdowns, rogues. Back in the day it would get so silly you could catch them on a jig with nothing. Gotta love sd. Don’t go to the north shore unless there is water coming through from henry culvert. Tight lines! Enjoy sd!

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Thanks guys! I’m getting jacked to give it a try. Great info. Hopefully I can give a good report over the next few weeks.

waterice
    Elk Point, SD

There are a bunch of lakes around the Sioux Falls area within a half hour drive. Your best bet is to go to Dakota Angler on Benson rd in Sioux Falls and talk to the staff there. They will help you with direction and where to fish great people there. They do have a web site if you want to check it out.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

The falls in Falls Park has been reduced to a trickle with the lack of rain and high temps. If you are just looking for a place to pass a little time and possibly catch something, you might want to give Family Park a shot. It is located west of I29 on 12th Street (which turns into Hwy. 42). It is an old gravel pit that has been stocked. I believe there are northern, trout and pannies. Another place right in town in on 60th Street North in the Big Sioux River or the diversion channel. Best bet would be to go to Dakota Angler on Benson Road about 2 blocks east of Minnesota Ave. (close to airport). They have fishing reports and would be willing to talk about fishing possibilities in the area (www.dakotaangler.com). There are some smaller lakes in the area like Twin, Diamond etc. I will be back in Brandon on July 28. If you have any questions, shoot me a pm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.