Screws or rivets?

• Jason
    Hastings

Looking to install a track system on my boat and do not have a way to anchor it using a through bolt. It’s an aluminum Crestliner. What would you all recommend – sheet metal screws or rivets? Thanks!

iowa_josh

I would use construction adhesive and small screws. The holes can always take a bigger screw later but the adhesive should be doing the holding.

Musky Ed

They make and recommend rivets for it that way. They are special rivets, if I remember right. There are youtubes out there on how to do this. It looked super simple.

Jason
    Hastings

Thanks fellas

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Looking to install a track system on my boat and do not have a way to anchor it using a through bolt. It’s an aluminum Crestliner. What would you all recommend – sheet metal screws or rivets? Thanks!

This is what I prefer to use; https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-Stainless-Threaded-Rivetnut-Assortment/dp/B076K8VQG4/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&hvadid=78408984406451&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&keywords=rivnut+kit&qid=1606748314&sr=8-15&tag=mh0b-20

The_Bladepuller
    South end

The product Huntindave has a link to works great as long as you can have enough room to squeeze the tool to pop. They are basically threaded pop rivets. I have used then on commercial hollow metal door frames when: A) The drilled and tapped hole in the door frame gets stripped, or B) The frame is not properly prepped for the hardware to be mounted. Not having a reinforcing platet means you will have a failure of mounting eventually.

Musky Ed

Knew I saw it somewhere. Go to youtube, and type, Riveting traxstech tracks on crestliner boat, in their search box. You will see a video by Traxstech on installing their tracks on an aluminum boat with rivets. I think they also sell the rivets. Looked really simple.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

One thing I would add, I do not like drilling all my holes on any project prior to fastening the item first. If anything moves, even a drillbit wandering, can cause pre-drilled holes not to line up. Dill a few, install a few then repeat IMHO.

Jason
    Hastings

Appreciate it!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.