Scheels Outfitter Rod Case

• Dan Baker

Has anyone used one of these cases? We just started carrying them at TUCR and they look pretty sweet. I’m looking for any opinions or reviews on them before I decide if I should pick one up. I need a second rod case. Currently I have the Otter hard Case and it’s great, but these are intriguing.

Attachments:
    1. Capture.jpg

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Just checked them out in St cloud, nice hard case for $129 but a little big for me. They had a nice assortment of other ice rod cases also. I did check out the TUCR display and it was fully stocked. They had all the ice fishing stuff stocked and ready to go. I wash they had a Scheels in the cities, I think they put Gander and Cabala’s to shame.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have that same case with the Plano name for a rifle, it’s called their “all-weather”. It’s a good case but not quite up to their field locker series. This case has an extremely good seal around it to keep the elements away while it’s latched shut. I’ve been thinking about getting another and plucking rod slots out of the foam, this would already be done for me! Good job, Scheels.

$ for $, this is a wayyy better case than the Otter. I feel the Otter is overrated and overpriced for the features it offers…

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

I can’t seem to find it on the Scheels site. Are there additional photos or details available anywhere yet?

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Thanks, Craig. I foolishly only searched “Outfitter Rod”. Mobile lazy I guess.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

129 is steep but deffinatley looks like a nice case to protect your small investments. I might be checking 1 out. I haven’t found 1 I really like yet

snelson223
    Austin MN

I looked at them but can’t fit that many rods in there. I can fit more rods in my otter.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I think the display had 6 rods in the case with 5 or 6 jig boxes, so there is room for more then just rods.

I looked at them but can’t fit that many rods in there. I can fit more rods in my otter.

tucrs
    NW Metro

It also fits the longer ice rods too. For me it is going to limit my storage to a certain number of boxes. That might be a good thing.

Ben
    Central MN

It does look interesting a storing ice rods is its intended purpose, but at that price you could get two of the Plano All Weather gun cases. I went with the Plano case last year and haven’t been disappointed. Biggest downside is that its not quite as thick as this case or the Otter case, but I still managed to get 6 combos in there without folding reel handles.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1178.jpg

2. IMG_1177.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

at that price you could get two of the Plano All Weather gun cases.

That is exactly what this case is with a different insert, Plano re-designed the all weather case.

Chris Harer

oh so tempting to give it a try….. must…. resist…… ugh, ok im getting one…..

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I can’t see spending that much. I got a Flambeau Bunk Box last year for like 40 bucks and that works great. I don’t need to carry 5 tackle boxes in my rod case. I fit 2 in the bunk box. I have a couple spools of line and some other stuff for the rods in there but that’s about it. All my lures and jigs go in my tackle bags which is a lot easier to handle when I need to switch up presentations as opposed to a rod box.

It looks like they dropped a couple latches off the ends? That helps a bit. The Plano was overkill in that regard.

tucrs
    NW Metro

It looks like they dropped a couple latches off the ends? That helps a bit. The Plano was overkill in that regard.

Yes the latches are only in the front.

gonehunting

On sale for $99.99 at Scheels in Bismarck. Guessing other Scheels stores as well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.