Scheels Has Ice Fishing Stuff

• trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

Got a call from one of my fishing buddies telling me the Rochester, MN Scheels has their ice fishing stuff out. Being the crazy ice fishing guy I had to check it out. Sure enough they have their ice rods, reels, shacks, tackle, etc. on the shelves. It was a wonderful sight.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Idiots. Like Menards and Fleet Farm having Christmas stuff out already.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Not really…..it wouldn’t surprise me if I am on ice by thanksgiving down here based on the forecasts i have seen, for sure there will be ice in Waskish by then. 50 days or so ain’t that far off.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m doing my “early ice dance” right now. toast

David Blais

Cabelas in owatonna has their tucr out

Josh Hedstrom

I was in the Scheels in Fargo getting stuff for Pheasant Opener next weekend and saw all the portables and rods getting set up. Had to go for a quick walk through!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I agree with Tom. Menards has had their whole Chrismas tree display etc. out for over 2.5 weeks. doah

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Slow down . Best fishing of the year is right now especially on the river

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

So who are the idiots? Those that are selling this “stuff” now…or those who are buying this “stuff” now? whistling

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

That’s two straight posts of you bashing Scheels on different threads. Very anti-scheels, eh? Cabelas in Woodbury was setting up their ice fishing gear when I stopped by last week. I suppose they’re idiots too?

bigpike

I saw scheels ice stuff also, I was a little surprised they didn’t replace the shacks with more clothes racks. All kidding aside I did see a nice Marcum locator caddy for $250 that I will be researching further

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That’s two straight posts of you bashing Scheels on different threads. Very anti-scheels, eh? Cabelas in Woodbury was setting up their <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing gear when I stopped by last week. I suppose they’re idiots too?

Hardly. I think their store lay-out sucks and I say so. Fleet Farm has fishing immediately to the right of the front doors, from there the fishing sort of flows into the hunting section. I can get into both areas without having to wallow in women’s clothing to get to it….OR having to go to the second story to find a jig.

Cabelas….yes I think they’re idiots too. They’ve already begun to go the route of the infamous Gander, or Dick’s, or Sportsman’s Warehouse by manning the businesses with people who can’t answer a question or have zero experience in the department they work in. In each instance with the three just mentioned, the first really “needed” thing to disappear from those chains was knowledgeable sales staff, probably because it cost big money to have people on staff that actually know what they are talking about and I’m sure that the money saved by letting these “smart” people go went to stock something so far out of season that the shelves need to be dusted before the stuff even starts to sell.

I’m of the belief that if any store that merchandises for changing seasons has to push seasonal sales way far out in the future just to break even on those sales they should maybe think of eliminating that aspect of the business. Christmas has a season…..in December. Ice fishing has a season….when there’s ice. And in case it slicked by, yesterday’s temps were in the 70’s here. The water temps in this area are such that ice isn’t going to happen soon and the leaves on the trees are just now starting to color up in this region. So parden me if I think people who run right out and spend a wad on little jigs that won’t be used for three or four months are just a tad bit “off”. Shorts and short-sleeve weather here and you’re all lathered up over some ice tackle. Have you ever given thought to maybe you won’t even get to use something bought this early? What if there’s no ice this year?

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I agree but it is their choice. My choice is once the Christmas music starts in a store I stop going to that store until it’s over.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

My choice is once the Christmas music starts in a store I stop going to that store until it’s over.

Haha so true.

Once Christmas music is on the radio I turn it off until 12/26 )

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Not a fan of these early starts for ice fishing. When its time to actually get out on the ice everything is so over picked your forced to buy the stuff online and wait for it to show up. I don’t understand this approach beyond a quick quota grab.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tuma wrote:</div>
    My choice is once the Christmas music starts in a store I stop going to that store until it’s over.

Haha so true.

Once Christmas music is on the radio I turn it off until 12/26 )

Whats wrong with hearing the lyrics “Felice Navedad” repeated over and over and over and over and over…
    Still have night terrors over that arrangement.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Ice fishing stuff early means clearancing out more open water stuff, thats a win in my book.

Cameron white

Retail has to compete with online retailers now. As soon as the reeds catalog came out last week, its game on. Scheels has far and away the best staff. Being from Canada, we don’t get near the selection your stores have.

Besides… it doesn’t make them profit sitting in the warehouse.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Not a fan of these early starts for ice fishing. When its time to actually get out on the ice everything is so over picked your forced to buy the stuff online and wait for it to show up. I don’t understand this approach beyond a quick quota grab.
    [/qufote]
    You should have taken advantage of the gander liquidation. Ice stuff was 60 to 90% off. I finally gave in to the 90% ice stuff even tho I have everything I could need but if they want to just give it away.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Scheels is friendly and convenient for me but the f-tard who designed the store has terrible knowledge of product placement. The fishing and hunting stuff should be on the 1st level along with a separate door to get live bait. The guys that want bait don’t care to look at golf clubs, sunglasses etc and need to go up an escalator for a scoop of minnows. Maybe I’m wrong and scheels makes more $ on things other than hunting/fishing and that is why the store is set up that way? If only I could get FF to sell minnows, I would be all set.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Scheels is friendly and convenient for me but the f-tard who designed the store has terrible knowledge of product placement. The fishing and hunting stuff should be on the 1st level along with a separate door to get live bait.

Finally there’s a smart person who sees things in the proper context. Thank you.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tbro16 wrote:</div>
    That’s two straight posts of you bashing Scheels on different threads. Very anti-scheels, eh? Cabelas in Woodbury was setting up their <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing gear when I stopped by last week. I suppose they’re idiots too?

Hardly. I think their store lay-out sucks and I say so. Fleet Farm has fishing immediately to the right of the front doors, from there the fishing sort of flows into the hunting section. I can get into both areas without having to wallow in women’s clothing to get to it….OR having to go to the second story to find a jig.

Cabelas….yes I think they’re idiots too. They’ve already begun to go the route of the infamous Gander, or Dick’s, or Sportsman’s Warehouse by manning the businesses with people who can’t answer a question or have zero experience in the department they work in. In each instance with the three just mentioned, the first really “needed” thing to disappear from those chains was knowledgeable sales staff, probably because it cost big money to have people on staff that actually know what they are talking about and I’m sure that the money saved by letting these “smart” people go went to stock something so far out of season that the shelves need to be dusted before the stuff even starts to sell.

I’m of the belief that if any store that merchandises for changing seasons has to push seasonal sales way far out in the future just to break even on those sales they should maybe think of eliminating that aspect of the business. Christmas has a season…..in December. Ice fishing has a season….when there’s ice. And in case it slicked by, yesterday’s temps were in the 70’s here. The water temps in this area are such that ice isn’t going to happen soon and the leaves on the trees are just now starting to color up in this region. So parden me if I think people who run right out and spend a wad on little jigs that won’t be used for three or four months are just a tad bit “off”. Shorts and short-sleeve weather here and you’re all lathered up over some ice tackle. Have you ever given thought to maybe you won’t even get to use something bought this early? What if there’s no ice this year?

move over scrooge you have competition this year.

Personally I love it when ice fishing stuff is out. Ive been known to sit in an otter or two long enough for my wife to lose track of me.

With regards to staffing knowledgeable people in retail stores I can say that I certainly enjoy it more when the person selling me the product knows a bit about it and can answer some questions but I wonder if its something of an outdated mode of sale. In this day in age, if I go to a store to buy something chances are I know what im there for and ive been researching the bejeezus out of it for the better part of a week. With information available at your fingertips including first hand accounts of product use I think the knowledgeable salesman is not as essential as it was 20-30-40 years ago. I certainly appreciate when I find one but chances are he couldn’t tell me more about the product im targeting then I could him once ive made it to the store and am ready to purchase.

gonehunting

I will admit that I am a fan of Scheels. They must have something figured out if they are not looking at a buyout from Bass Pro or clearancing out stores and rebranding a store by going from “mountain” to “outdoors”. A thumbs up for the Fargo Scheels. If they put my fishing/hunting stuff on the first floor my wife wouldn’t spend as much time the women’s and kids sections. She is the reason they are making money )

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have no problem with Scheels. They keep dragging those young in shape women to the first floor to buy clothing and shoes. I’m forced to walk past them all to get to the second floor. If thats bad for me then so be it. grin

travis mccolley

I will admit that I am a fan of Scheels. They must have something figured out if they are not looking at a buyout from Bass Pro or clearancing out stores and rebranding a store by going from “mountain” to “outdoors”. A thumbs up for the Fargo Scheels. If they put my fishing/hunting stuff on the first floor my wife wouldn’t spend as much time the women’s and kids sections. She is the reason they are making money )

We have a winner. Yep love going to scheels, hate going with the wife.
    Cabelas in owatonna has the shacks set up,and so we went to look.wife spent 100 bucks on stuff she wanted.

trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

Fleet Farm has some ice stuff. However, there is more open water stuff out than ice stuff.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.