Sawyer Co, Wi. Hayward area.

• robby
    Quad Cities

Hi all. I have a trip planned middle of Sept to the Hayward, WI area. Lost Land Lake and Teal Lake. 2 of the “Quiet Lakes”. Anyone have any tips for those lakes that time of year. Fishing for bass, walleye, ring perch, crappies. I am not so interested in Northers or Musky. I am sure we will catch some by mistake, ugh. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

stevenoak

I fished Ghost mid Sept. 2 years ago. Love the quiet lake concept. Beautiful and relaxing. Fishing was tough, I flogged every inch of the lake with everything I owned. Caught a few smallmouth and snot rockets. Came back to the dock and a guy fishing off the dock caught a 30+” walleye and nice musky. Think they said Teal is pretty weedy in the shallow end. There were 2 older couples in the cabin next to us. They have come there for years. They gave up fishing. Now they just have cocktails and watch the leaves turn. Then go back home to pool 10 to catch fish. Maybe be flexible to try some smaller lesser-known lakes around. That’s my plan if I go back again. Ghost Lake lodge has a cool old bar to stop in for a cocktail, but no food. Sure someone here can drop you the name of the restaurant that has the fish fry that’s really good. It was closed because of Covid when we were there. Have fun, it’s a nice spot. Walleyes will be firing up in the river when you get home.

robby
    Quad Cities

Thanks Steve. Not a hard core fishing trip, just a trip with fishing. Not just targeting Walter. I am fine with bass and panfish. Hopefully we can find some. If not, time away, relax, goof off with my Buds, eat, drink when not on the water, just get away. Weather is looking inviting too. Might mess up fishing for a day or two, but they will acclimate, not to the fall frenzy, but… Again, Thanks for your reply.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

My buddies and I started a yearly hayward trip at the end of September last year. I was looking at lost land lake and thought it could be pretty cool. Panfish numbers looked promising and the thought of nobody out there was even more inticing. Unfortunately I was the only one of the group that really wanted to go so I decided to be a team player and stay on the main lakes in the area.

Maybe this year I’ll get out there.

stevenoak

Coming from corn and cow country you’ll love the area. There are elk in the Clam Lake area. We went to a high spot on the highway, by the crossing signs hoping to see them around dark without luck. I was up with my wife that doesn’t fish anymore. With some buddies you may figure something out. Enjoy!!

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Lost Land and Teal are great lakes. The walleye and crappie bite has been good all year. Jig and leech or 1/2 crawler under a slip bobber on Teal on the “deeper” weed edges will catch you both walleyes and bass. By deeper edges, I’m talking about 10 ft.
    Lost Land crappies are abundant this year but running on the small side. Many around 9 inches. There are a couple deeper basins on the north side close to big bays. They will be schooled in the deeper water by mid-Sept. Tube jig and crappie minnow under a slip bobber will catch you a bunch.
    Good luck!

robby
    Quad Cities

Lost Land Lake and Teal Lake receive a lot of pressure.

robby
    Quad Cities

My report. Reel Livin’ Resort is great. Kitchen was fully stocked with lots and lots of pots, pans, casserole dishes, crock pot, utensils, etc.. We actually stayed in an apartment built into the lodge/bar. It was super clean, no mice, and quiet. It was originally made for the owners. Only once did I hear music from the bar when I was in the apartment. The Staff are super friendly and helpful. The locals and other visitors were really friendly as well, shared fishing tips, etc.. These quiet lakes are pretty darned quiet. Not everyone observes the 10 MPH limit, I did at all times. This said, even the boats that got up on plane were courteous, as were all the fisherman on the lake. Nobody crowded each other, gave a wide birth. Most of the time when passing someone while fishing, folks stop and chat, compare notes etc.. The food in the bar is pretty darned good. Grilled and deep fried, but good and prices are great for the amount you get. I felt fine with leaving my apartment, car, and boat unsupervised and not locked. This said, I recommend Reel Livin’ Resort. There are other resorts and lots of private places on the lakes.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

But how was the fishing???? lol

MX1825

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    But how was the fishing???? lol

Yea, come on man, I feel cheated. grin

Doesn’t sound like he went fishing to me. shock doah

robby
    Quad Cities

Sorry I did include a fishing report, here it is. Fishing was tough the first couple days, as I did not know the lake at all. As I got to know it the fishing got better. The lake was definately still in the summer pattern, water temp right about 70. Caught lots of eater sized Northerns, Some ok bass, no big ones. Lots of 5 inch Ring Perch and blue gills/sunfish. Did not catch any walleyes, totally out of my element for them on this water, and no crappies. Very, very weedy lake, and some of the weeds have begun to die and are frail, causing lots of weeds to foul baits. My buddy Pat hooked up on a large Musky, this was no 30 incher, it was BIG. It’s girth was as big around as my thigh. He lost it next to the boat. I was getting the net ready, but this fish was not ready for the net. As we were not fishing for Musky, I do not like them, (although they are superb table fare….kidding), and we were not fishing for them. It hit a Chatterbait. He is still talking about it, lol. Perhaps using live bait would have helped me, I do not use it much. This said, a lot of folks, even locals were struggling with the fish. I would like to return, just early or late in the season. Still a good trip.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sounds good. Sometimes they just ain’t biting. Your experience there sounds like it was worth while. I’ve been there once. I need to go back.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.