Saving boats during hurricane

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone else seeing the videos of guys taking their boats out into the hurricane to save them? Wow. I’ve seen a few of the boats out in the storm and then a few more of entire marinas leveled with a few boats returning that are just fine. That is impressive.

Deuces

They’re really going to have the monopoly on the shrimpin business

blank

And if they’re really smart, they’ll then invest in some kind of fruit company and they won’t have to worry about money no more. Which is good. One less thing to worry about.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You ain’t got no legs, Lieutenant Dan!

mojogunter

I read an article about how there has been so much insurance fraud in Florida in the last 20 years that most big insurers have pulled out of the market over the last 10 years, and the majority of people down there are forced to be insured with a tax payer funded state insurance program. The property taxes down there were reasonable, but that may be changing. I sure hope that no insurance companies file they are bankrupt and screw thousands.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

This guy nailed his anchor job! I struggle in current…😂 would love to know what anchor and ropes he used! Probably a mooring anchor but still impressive!

Attachments:
    1. 23AF4C48-70E8-46DD-BE73-EA06C43EB12F.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This guy nailed his anchor job! I struggle in current…😂 would love to know what anchor and ropes he used! Probably a mooring anchor but still impressive!

Are those posts sticking up the dock its tied to?? Quite a durable dock if you ask me.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

On the news this morning they showed giant tuna boats piled up on a concrete wall and the biggest one had the home port listed as White Bear Lake, MN.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

From a friend.

Attachments:
    1. image0.jpeg

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You will see lots of used Yamaha engines hitting the used market real soon.

Dan
    Southeast MN

And if they’re really smart, they’ll then invest in some kind of fruit company and they won’t have to worry about money no more. Which is good. One less thing to worry about.

applause applause

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The college friend I know who lives down there said most people with boats that hit the ocean don’t have a trailer and tow vehicle combination for their rig. They either leave their boat in the water as usual for the storm and accept that it’s going to be a total loss, or they move it up or down the coast away from the storm the week in advance (guessing the track). Owning a boat in FL is a very different experience than here.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I read an article about how there has been so much insurance fraud in Florida in the last 20 years that most big insurers have pulled out of the market over the last 10 years, and the majority of people down there are forced to be insured with a tax payer funded state insurance program. The property taxes down there were reasonable, but that may be changing. I sure hope that no insurance companies file they are bankrupt and screw thousands.

Most quality insurance companies have Sub insurance ( Think of it as Insurance to cover insurance companies ) that will cover all claims in the event that a large loss prevents the insurance company from being able to pay out large losses.
    You are correct in that many of the larger insurance companies either do not do business in Florida at all or if they do at least not along any of the coastlines. Some of the smaller ones who do offer insurance for coastal customer are not real great policies and often have poor coverage and really high deductibles.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That would take a big set to take a Boat out into a Hurricane. Unless they did so far in advance of the arrival.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

That would take a big set to take a Boat out into a Hurricane. Unless the did so far in advance of the arrival.

A really large set indeed. Can’t imagine doing that.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Most companies that insure tuna boats that travel won’t cover them if they are below 34 longitude until Nov when the hurricane season is over.

Justin riegel

Talking to my dad that lives down there, he has 2 friends with big boats one is worth around $150k and the other closer to $400k. both not insured as the coverage is too much down there. The $400k one sunk due the mooring ropes being to short and the surge went over top of that. I could never stomach a loss like that, but I also don’t have net worth over $100 million.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Talking to my dad that lives down there, he has 2 friends with big boats one is worth around $150k and the other closer to $400k. both not insured as the coverage is too much down there. The $400k one sunk due the mooring ropes being to short and the surge went over top of that. I could never stomach a loss like that, but I also don’t have net worth over $100 million.

Even with a net worth of over 100 Million a 400k loss would hurt. I guess I’m a little unsure why a guy with that net worth would go without insurance at any Cost. I’m sure it was far less than the 400K loss.

Ripjiggen

Attachments:
    1. F4548766-7D08-406A-B959-71918CD622B4.jpeg

2. 8B6A2BDD-D359-4977-A317-EE8507AF4B74.jpeg

Justin riegel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin riegel wrote:</div>

Even with a net worth of over 100 Million a 400k loss would hurt. I guess I’m a little unsure why a guy with that net worth would go without insurance at any Cost. I’m sure it was far less than the 400K loss.

He said $40k a year

Deuces

Frequently do homes around here that have insurance deductibles of 10k, these folks know what they’re doing.

Wonder what it will do for boat/motor/parts availability for couple years…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Lot of opportunity for someone who restores boats I’d think…

stevenoak

When I first looked a Ripjiggen second picture, thought the walleyes were biting below the dam.

Ripjiggen

Now that’s a funny Steve. Pool 4?

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

400K asset with a net worth of 100 million is the same as a millionaire carrying liability only on his beater chore truck that’s worth 4 thousand. Some people do not understand what true wealth is. I am NOT a millionaire and have a couple vehicles in the driveway that I do not carry full coverage on. The chances of them getting totaled is far greater than that guys boat. But the the odds caught up to him. I doubt with his wealth he feels the loss, and will be boating again soon.

At 40K a year for insurance, he would have to total a boat once every 10 years, not taking into account depreciation. How many boats get totaled. I would say he is a pretty smart guy not carrying the insurance.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That would take a big set to take a Boat out into a Hurricane. Unless they did so far in advance of the arrival.

Or a lot of experience and knowledge of what you boat can do. Plenty more than I have.

munchy
    NULL

Just in those 2 pics Ripjiggen posted is about $15million in just boats. Add that up and down 100 miles of coast one could assume there is at least $500+million in just boats that are heading to the scrap yards.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t get the mindset down there. You have major league offshore rigs that are expensive to insure or uninsured. You have at least 5 days notice that a hurricane is headed right at you.

So you sit with your thumb up your porthole with your boat tied to the dock and let a hurricane wreck it.

Ripjiggen

A. Not every boat owner down there is there at all times.

B. Where are they going to take them? Many are owned without trailers.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.