Savage mn. Bow hunting permission

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I worked for a older man a couple weeks ago and in trades of taking him fishing, he is letting me hunt his land. He has multiple parcels. Some have giant warehouses on them with the back of the property being 60 to 100 acres of hills and swamp. And some are just raw woods and ag land. 400 acres plus total. I don’t know much about the area, but I’m taking him out fishing Sunday in exchange for a few spots he sees big deer on.

How does some one really thank a generous offer back to a older Vietnam veteran.
    It all started when I was pouring a pad back at a warehouse he owns and he told me us concrete guys have it hard, I looked at him and said not at all, not with that hat you ware, you had it hard and I will always be grateful. That turned in to story time and he went down the path that he has a love of fishing but can’t get out on his own. So I’m taking him bass fishing at his choice and he is going to give me a tour of the property. He was showing me pictures when he had Brett farve on the land and he shot a big buck lol.
    Properties are along 13. I feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of land.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

How does some one really thank a generous offer back to a older Vietnam veteran.

That’s one that doesn’t have an adequate answer, just a thank you and a listening ear goes a long way. And if they have a hankering for any wild game that is always more meaningful than a bottle or case of beer imo. LMK if you need help dragging one out, that’s not too far from me.

Riverrat

Snack Stix. And maybe a meal with the vet himself if he seems like the kind of guy that could use a taking out to dinner.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Snack Stix. And maybe a meal with the vet himself if he seems like the kind of guy that could use a taking out to dinner.

I’m taking him fishing Sunday morning, he wants to go with the kid and I. Then I told my son we will take him out for a big steak or what ever he prefers. As well as bring him a full back strap from the doe I just shot.

picklerick
    Central WI

I had a customer offer to let me hunt his 30 acre woods last season. He said it hadn’t been hunted in about 10yrs. I offered to pay him and he wouldn’t think of it. I brought him some homemade venison brats and summer sausage when he showed me the property lines. Next time out I brought him some snack sticks. It was early Nov, so I let all the does I saw pass and never did see a buck in the next few weeks. I was going to give him some chops, but settled for sending a $300 box from Omaha Steaks. He was enormously grateful. There are still some good people out there.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Im willing to bet you see a lot of big bucks out there. Could be your best chance at a B&C. Good luck out there!

hillhiker
    SE MN

Sounds to me like one of the best gifts you could get him is a few more fishing outings. I agree with Carter. There should be plenty of big deer around there.

Brad Dimond

My brother lives in Savage not far off Hwy 13. He sees deer all of the time and has seen some very large bucks.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m pretty excited to just take the old vet fishing and hear some more stories.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Good work bearcat!!

Back in 2019 I took Lee (Vietnam vet) and his son nate sturgeon fishing for veterans day. I wouldn’t take their money but Lee insisted I take it and give it to my daughter. I returned the favor by giving them an 8X10 photo for Christmas.

If you get the chance, get a nice picture and give him something to hang on the wall to remember the day!

Attachments:
    1. 20191111_181032-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thats a great idea, I will be taking some photos Sunday. I just hope I can put a bite together. Fishing some lake he picked down that way that I have never been on or even heard of.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Fishing some lake he picked down that way that I have never been on or even heard of.

You will find some fish, but don’t get down on yourself no matter how the fishing ends up. I bet he will have a great time regardless and is probably not so much about the fish to him and more about the outing. Your a good dude BC! waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I ask for permission to pheasant and spring turkey hunt at multiple private properties every year for over 20 years. Its time consuming and often takes multiple days, but the option to hunt untouched private land trumps almost any public land I could venture on. I offer every single one of them venison, pheasant, or walleye/fish filet. You’d be surprised that most of them decline all of it. I don’t know if they just don’t like it or they just feel like they can’t accept it. One guy said he thinks it all tastes like shoe leather lol so at least he’s honest.

Just did this about 2 weeks ago for the upcoming rooster season and all 14 spots I stopped at were at home and said yes. But some people do say no, so you learn to accept that too. The great thing is that once someone allows you to hunt, they almost always let you to come back each year after that. I’ve built up a pretty nice locality of spots to hunt in about a 10 mile radius by doing this year after year. The one stipulation is that some of them tell me not to go out there until after deer firearms season is over because the land is almost always hunted during that time period. Which is understandable.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I used to hunt with a longtime friend and his family at the Grandparents place.

When the Grandpa got too old to climb up in his longtime stand, I went out there to snap a pic of the the sunrise. I framed it and brought it back the next year.
    It didn’t get the reaction I was expecting… but it has been displayed in their house ever since.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Bigger parcels can be tough if there’s no clear spot on the spot to start on. I’m sure he will be able to get you started in narrowing down where he sees good deer, but you can comb through that with boots on the ground in a couple afternoons.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Can you shot gun hunt in savage ?

Onx says it has firearms season a and b and also muzzle loader but I have to look in to the legality of shotgun within those limits or if it’s archery also.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Can you shot gun hunt in savage ?

I think at one point it was legal but it has developed rapidly over the years with residential housing. I looked on their city website and couldn’t find anything. You might have to call someone.

Brad Dimond

Pheasant hunted the area in high school but that was 45 years ago. Guns and boots in the car, parked in the school lot. Left as soon as classes were over. Pretty sure firearms are now prohibited.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I can shoot a gun in savage. 500ft from a house and 750ft from a business. But that isn’t needed this year now. Savage was good to me for a bow kill. Might try to get a 2 man stand out there and get the lady friend to shoot one for gun season, maybe

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I would give the conservation officer in the image bellow a call and just verify its legal where you are planning to hunt.

Attachments:
    1. Capture111.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would give the conservation officer in the image bellow a call and just verify its legal where you are planning to hunt.

Talked to the police and the dnr. Thank you for the contact info, I appreciate it. The dnr told me to talk to the police, the police told me to ask the dnr. Then they both told me the legal ways to do so on private land.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Sounds like you got it all covered then. You have a picture of the deer you shot with your bow down there?!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s on the deer forum but I’ll repost it here

Attachments:
    1. 20231021_211445-1-scaled.jpg

CBMN
    North Metro

Nice deer Bearcat…

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Nice! Dropping it off at Bakkens I see.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nice! Dropping it off at Bakkens I see.

Yup. I didn’t want to deal with it. I was tired.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nice deer Bearcat…

Thanks Chris.
    That is why I love hunting the windy days every one hates. I snuck in within 80 yards of where I thought a buck was bedded. And he came out. It was so loud in the woods all my footsteps were not heard

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.