Sand Point vs. Namakan for smallmouth

• smallie83

I am planning a smallmouth trip and I’ve never been to Sand Point. I have camped/fished on Kabetogama and the Wolf Pack area of Namakan. Questions are:

1. Any noticeable difference in smallmouth fishing in Sand Point/Eastern Namakan vs. the Wolf Pack area or western Namakan?
    2. Is there a difference in fishing pressure? Sand Point looks to be closer to resorts.
    3. Which one would be the best area for smallmouth?

I’m looking at a campsite on the cluster from Wolf Island down to Burnt Island.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ve done fairly well on Namakin Island at times. I guess given the two options I might try Sand Point. Either way have a safe fun trip.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

When are you planning the trip for??

I have fished west Namakan a lot (west of pike island) but have also spent time on eastern Namakan down to Rainbow island area.
    I have not fished Sand Point.
    My biggest Smallies each year, seem to be late July to August, when I’m rigging leeches in deeper water. For numbers, earlier in the season, casting shorelines, Islands, and shallow rocks produces the most numbers.

smallie83

When are you planning the trip for??

I have fished west Namakan a lot (west of pike island) but have also spent time on eastern Namakan down to Rainbow island area.
    I have not fished Sand Point.
    My biggest Smallies each year, seem to be late July to August, when I’m rigging leeches in deeper water. For numbers, earlier in the season, casting shorelines, Islands, and shallow rocks produces the most numbers.

This trip would probably be sometime between July 20th and August 10th. Topwater would be the goal.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I don’t fish Sand Point, but most of Namakan and Kabetogama and I doubt you’ll notice a difference in in the fishing or pressure. With houseboats and campsites throughout the park people get pretty spread out.
    Look for fish schooling and feeding on the surface on the tops of rock piles and reefs, usually in the early morning for your best bet at a good topwater bite. It doesn’t happen everywhere but if you can find one if those places it can be magical.
    I don’t think it matters, poppers, spooks, and whopper ploppers all work.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Namakan has been better to me. I dont think sand point is much different but namakan has piles of spots. Did really well on wind blown rock piles a couple years ago. Will be up in that area for a House boat trip. Ill keep you posted.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

This trip would probably be sometime between July 20th and August 10th. Topwater would be the goal.

I would say Namakan then. There is so much reef, shore and island rocks to hit you could spend a full year there. Late July/August alot of folks are heading from Kab into Nam to fish, and both the east and west end get busier. If you are focusing on topwater, I think you won’t feel too crowded, alot of the folks are fishing deeper water for eyes.
    I’ll be up there camping the whole last full week of July (Mica Island) and again for 5 days from Aug 9-13th (Sheen Point). Mainly eye fish during the day, but most evenings we spend a couple/three hours casting for smallies and pike. If you end up on West Nam let me know, and I’ll let you know how we are doing/did.

smallie83

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>smallie83 wrote:</div>

I would say Namakan then. There is so much reef, shore and island rocks to hit you could spend a full year there. Late July/August alot of folks are heading from Kab into Nam to fish, and both the east and west end get busier. If you are focusing on topwater, I think you won’t feel too crowded, alot of the folks are fishing deeper water for eyes.
    I’ll be up there camping the whole last full week of July (Mica Island) and again for 5 days from Aug 9-13th (Sheen Point). Mainly eye fish during the day, but most evenings we spend a couple/three hours casting for smallies and pike. If you end up on West Nam let me know, and I’ll let you know how we are doing/did.

Sorry. I wasn’t clear. This would be a 2024 trip. I’m already planning 2024 trips. Booked for 2023.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.