Algoma area

• les_welch

Anyone want to share how they would run a 3 rod and a 6 rod layout, fishing out of Algoma. I have 2 riggers, 2 mag dipsy’s, and 2 #1 dipsys. What spoons, flies, and j-plusg do you guys like? What flashers and dodgers, and what baits would you put where. Thanks WTA

Love to Troll

I fished out of Sturgeon Bay July 6th solo so I could only fish three rods; ended up 22 for 30 (19 kings, two lakers, one steelhead – all released other than one of the lakers which I kept for the grill). The reports I’ve read have still been just about as good, the fishing is really excellent right now.

I ran two downriggers and one power pro #1 dipsy; I’d say the dipsy rod caught 45%? of the fish. I ran dodgers/flies on all three rods. White dodgers/flashers (one normal white 8″ Luhr Jensen dodger with pinkish prismatic tape on one side only, and two 8″ pro-troll plastic flashers, both white with silver tape on the back and one with whitish/pinkish crushed ice tape on the front and the other with a whitish/pinkish holographic scale tape on the front. I ran the flies 22″ back from the dodgers (22″ from the head of the fly to the top of the leader), colors were blue steel and super aqua. Early in the morning (4:45 – 7:00 or so) many boats seemed to do well in shallower/on top of the bank in 60 – 90 feet of water, then they migrated out deeper after 7 or 8. I pretty much started in 110 feet and worked between 110 and 160 all day. Most fish came 70 – 90 down on the riggers, and with 150 – 180 feet of 50# power pro out on the dipsy (#1 dipsy set at 1-3/4 setting).

I’ve fished over there for over 25 years, and the past four or five years I’ve gone to fishing pretty much nothing but the colors I’ve described above. If I had another guy in the boat and could fish six rods, I’d run dogers/flies on your two downriggers, dodgers/flies on your two mag dipsys on a #1-1/2 setting and then dodgers/flies on your #1 dipsy’s on a #3 setting. Alternatively you could run spoons on your #1 dipsys just to try something different, or try running bright orange spoons on ’em for rainbows. You also could swap out in-line boards for your #1 dispseys and run orange spoons clean 200 feet or so back behind the board (or one clean and one with an ounce or two of weight).

Good luck over there; fishing has been GOOD!

Love to Troll

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was just reading an Algoma fishing report post from this morning on a Great Lakes website that said “Kind of a late report but we fished Mon. evening in 70′-100′ and went 11 for 14. Most fish were on aqua flies behind white Coyotes or LJ dodgers. We had one bow on a copper/orange spoon on 2 colors of lead, everything else came 25+ feet down on riggers,dipsies, and pumps. We finished up the evening with 5 fish on at once, almost 6 but I got the 6th line reset after a nice king as the first of the 5 hit. What a fire drill!! Three of us reeling fish and 2 rods in the holders pounding away. We managed to land all 5, but by then it was dark and we didn’t get another bite. I’m hoping to give it another try tonight if the weather cooperates. “

Notice a trend? Lol… white dodger/flashers and aqua flies!

les_welch

Thanks for the info, can’t wait to get over there. WTA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.