An Opener To Remember

• zoomer
    Twin Cities

Thanks for the read and the pictures just got home from a 11 hour day and I was right there with you. Very calming. (My wife thanks you too)

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

Len, you are the ultimate fisherman. When I grow up I want to be you.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Len, I always enjoy your photos and comments about trout. I envy your skills! Do you ever get out west to some of the blue ribbon streams to see if your Midwest tourt expertise translates to those western fish?

LenH
    Wisconsin

No expert here…just put in lots of miles on lots of streams. You don’t see my reports of striking out. There are lots of them too.
    I have a 1.5 hour comfort zone. I have fished in Germany and New Mexico. Germany I wrote about on here New Mexico was a needle in a haystack fish 30 years ago.

LenH
    Wisconsin

Quote:

Len, I always enjoy your photos and comments about trout. I envy your skills! Do you ever get out west to some of the blue ribbon streams to see if your Midwest tout expertise translates to those western fish?

I will tell you what I tell everyone I go with. Most good pike/bass/walleye anglers make good trout anglers. What makes them better than good is their willingness to walk 4 miles instead of 100 yards in closed season and scout. The rivers and streams in my area have many fish in them.

The sizes have gone down over the last 3-4 years but the numbers are up dramatically.

LenH
    Wisconsin

I introduced Coach Knight to the hole also.

His weighted girdle bug scored a nice fish.

This was back in 2007 I believe.

This permission was acquired from lots of door knocking. I have been told “NO” many times but I returned the next year and was friendly and got a “YES”.

This stretch has an older couple that like a trout for their table. Each year in May opener I give them what they seek. I even clean them in their yard with the garden hose and play with their numerous cats and feed them the left overs of the trout.

LenH
    Wisconsin

At the top of the hole is a sweet step drop from 2 feet to 6 feet. There are huge boulders there from the old farm bridge collapsing.
    The trout lay in wait at the drop with zero effort because the current is shooting right over there heads and they are there surveying the main courses and entrees they want to eat.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

Bobby said “Act Like You Been There Before” that’s close, I think.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.