Rods, lead core and trout/salmon ?

• AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Any suggestions for a less expensive lead core rod that will be used on Superior for trout/salmon?
    I have several 8 foot or longer TDR Shimano’s now for down rigging but they are med/med heavy and thinking maybe they are to light??

TIA

Al

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I use the Shimano Telora mediums for pulling boards/ lead core for trout and I think they work very well. No issues and the price is definitely right.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I use the Shimano Telora mediums for pulling boards/ lead core for trout and I think they work very well. No issues and the price is definitely right.

Like this one?

TLA80MC2 8’0″ Medium Fast 12-27 15-40

Thanks James.

luv2rapala

Not having the funds to buy extra leadcore rods for the 3-4 times a year that we fish salmon we just use our rigger rods (pick the rods with the bigger eyelets) they work fine for us.
    TDR’s, Penn Fathoms even used the Eagles (yellow ones)they seem to catch fish.
    luv2rapala

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Not having the funds to buy extra leadcore rods for the 3-4 times a year that we fish salmon we just use our rigger rods (pick the rods with the bigger eyelets) they work fine for us.
    TDR’s, Penn Fathoms even used the Eagles (yellow ones)they seem to catch fish.
    luv2rapala

Might just try that, I have a few rigger rods that are a bit to heavy for the stuff I use, might save me a few bucks, especially if I don’t care for lead.

Thanks

al

I know this sounds crazy, but try running a few shortie leadcore rods straight out the back. We tried this on our last trip out to Lake Michigan and it was a blast to catch fish on these rods.

Hand to Hand Combat at its finest!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I know this sounds crazy, but try running a few shortie leadcore rods straight out the back. We tried this on our last trip out to Lake Michigan and it was a blast to catch fish on these rods.

Hand to Hand Combat at its finest!

Thanks, I can try that, any suggestion on action?

Al

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Like this one?

TLA80MC2 8’0″ Medium Fast 12-27 15-40

Thanks James.

Yeah, those are the ones. We used them in a mix with St. Croix EyeCons on our last laker trip. I greatly prefer the EyeCons but can’t say there’s anything wrong with the Shimanos. And has already been discussed, the price is right.

As for you liking lead core, there’s lots of reasons to give it a try. Here’s some video from our last Superior trip that highlight a few of them.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Thanks James, and yes, I’m blaming you and this forum for me buying leadcore…

Al

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.