Downrigger Stacking

• Hillbiehle

How do you use a stacker on a portable downrigger? I have made some assumptions, but need clarification as I’ve never used before. I see some stackers have two clips on the same cable end and I see others that have one clip on one end and a swivel on the other. If I was fishing with one other person, wouldn’t I put one lure behind the ball, and stack the other higher..correct? I assume that the single clip (with swivel/clevis) would go on the cable, and the swivel / clevis would be on the fishing line. When a fish hites, the clip releases from the cable, and the stack line would then slide down as you were fighting the fish…correct?

This is for canada lake trout for two people. Would I be better off running the stacker with two clips behind the ball or spread out with one above?

skulskitom

I run a snap with 2 clips one long one short, reason is the small clip is attached to cable right above snap so it does not slide down the cable then attach long one to line and just offset the rods so they dont tangle up depending if lower one off the ball goes off first. It seems like a pain but have tried the single ones and they dont open all the time and i hate fighting them on the rigger usually breaks the line and lose $70 worth of tackle,

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

I use two types. One has two clip pads and a snap and I use it for setting at a certain spot on the down rigger cable. Snap on the cable, one pad on your line, other pad on the cable at the depth you wish above the ball. If I do not have the double pad stacker, I have also used a rubber band on the cable and through the snap to keep the stacker from moving. The other is a snap and single pad. Snap on the cable, pad on your line. This finds the bow in the down rigger cable and settles there. I find it is usually close to half the depth of the ball. I call this one a floating stacker. Hope this helps.

Hillbiehle

Thanks for the replys folks.

Looking at the “double stacker” featured here, do I clip the clevis AND the pad to the cable line and then leave the 2nd pad free to use on the fishing line…so the clevis acts as a safety to keep from loosing the overall clip?

the_hat
    SE Metro

I use two of the normal roemer releases. They slide on the main cable and lock in place. Keep 1 at the ball, and run the other 20 feet above it.

If you stagger your ball depths, say one at 65 and the other at 55, you should then have a line at every ten feet from 65ft to 35ft.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

I use Blacks releases. Primary release attached above the ball. (now comes the tricky part). At 10′ above the ball I attach a small crimp to the wire. I have a sliding Blacks release on the cable below the crimp. When ball is up I attach the primary bait (spoon or dodger/fly) back 20-50′. While the ball is still up, I put out a dipsy 30′ out dialed to #3 so that it will immediatly track left or right…attach to sliding release. Drop the ball…sliding release will dive when it hits the crimp. Note that dipsy dialed to #3 with 30′ of line out will dive 10′ and be about 15′ off to the side (same depth as the other bait). Because the dipsy dives immediatly to the side, I can load and drop both baits at the same time. And I do not have any excess line out to get the dipsy down deep.
    bestfishes – jim
    Just came back from Gills Rock, Wisconsin – fishing was good

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Im a Scotty Power Grip plus fan myself. Also like the wire clips as there is less fumbling around when you are removing the stacker. Easy on, easy off.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Thanks for the replys folks.

Looking at the “double stacker” featured here, do I clip the clevis AND the pad to the cable line and then leave the 2nd pad free to use on the fishing line…so the clevis acts as a safety to keep from loosing the overall clip?

To simply answer your question above, the answer is YES!!
    I occasionally use this type of stacker. Be sure to put that ‘short’ pad clip all the way back in the pad when clipping the cable. Then you have to decide what it’s going to take for the fishing line to release on a ‘hit’. If mono, try about 1/3 deep into the pad, and if a super braid line, might have to go 1/2 way into the pad clip….you’ll have to ‘play’ around with it to get the ‘feel’ for it…

I also favor the Scotty cable snap and release. These are usually my go-to stacker choice. So if I’m in 100FOW and set the ball down at 60, about 10 to 15 feet up will be my stacker clip. The line at the ball is back anywhere from 30 to 50 feet, and the stacker line I run shorter by at least 10 to 15 feet, and rods set apart to spread lines on a hit.

Lakers eh? Love the ‘glow-spoons’ for Lakers. 57 chevy, watermelon are a couple…..

Hope this helps.

cody_c.
    Pool 8

Quote:

Im a Scotty Power Grip plus fan myself. Also like the wire clips as there is less fumbling around when you are removing the stacker. Easy on, easy off.

For a person who doesn’t have experience with roemer releases, Scotty makes the easiest to use releases around. Your best bet would be to go with scottys for saving time and effectiveness

Hillbiehle

Thank you all. I appreciate the feedback and feel a bit more confident getting the accesories.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.