Laker tackle/lures?

• Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Asked this on the canada section also. But what are some good lures for a begginer? I’m fishing a multi-spieces lake in Ontario and wouldn’t mind targeting a few! Got some white jigs and tubes, but fell I should maybe have some other options but don’t know what. Some basic go-tos.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

4 inch long flutter spoons in hammered silver and hammered gold.

Get the thin ones. Deadly

Dog

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

silver flatfish.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For open water presentations I’d be sure to bring white plastics (tubes, paddletails, etc.) in 3″ – 4″ sizes. Rig them on jigs with a premium-sharp hook because a laker mouth can be as hard as concrete making it tough to get the hook point started. White and white/pink bucktails would be a close second.

tstatz
    wis

Good luck in Canada.We have always found thin flutter spoons to be great.A little red or chartruese coloring does not hurt. A simple snap weight will get you down to them.Watch your locator for bait fish depth and you are on your way to a great shore lunch! Grouse dog is spot on with gold and silver being good colors.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

James mentions white 3/4 inch plastics on jigs. Good choice. I’d add white/chartreuse tentacles and I’d try to find these in one of the scented products like powerbait.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Don’t forget to check and see if they are selling sucker meat for bait. Don’t make it too difficult give it a shot, jig with sucker meat on the bottom. You can catch lots of small ones trolling and jigging and of course you can catch a big one that way but you are going to CA for a big one and jig on the bottom is the way to go. If you give it a legitimate shot you will not fish lakers any other way. As a side note the sucker meat works great on big notherns also. The big pig females cruise the bottom looking for an easy meal. Good Luck let me know how you do and I will post a report of how we do in June. We used to go every year but with the way things are now we go every other year and this is the year we are going!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.