Safe Wakes for Small Lakes group

• tangler
    Inactive

By this logic we should do away with speed limits, bag limits, littering laws, etc, etc. There will never be enough law enforcement and DNR folks to enforce all the rules but you still need them.

I didn’t say we should do away with the common-sense laws that are already in place. I just don’t think it makes sense to make new laws that are quite narrow in scope, when in reality we already have broader laws that would cover many of these scenarios if only they were enforced.

This isn’t realistic in any way — but imagine if we could divert funds from the legislators and politicians and activists groups that are constantly trying to make new rules, and give that money to the DNR to increase enforcement of the existing ones. I think this would go further to increase the safety and enjoyment of our lakes than this kind of NIMBY stuff.

I personally would not call the fuzz on a wake surfer (or any other boater) unless they were endangering people. I’m there to enjoy the lake and I don’t let much get to me unless I feel my safety is being put at risk. I’m not gonna spend my fishing time on the phone with the local sheriff’s office.

tangler
    Inactive

My folks live on a lake in the north metro and you’ll see people with sickles out cutting down all the reeds along their shores. It’s completely illegal and rarely enforced.

Did you…

Call the local sheriff or DNR

? devil

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    I dont think we should have the right to say hey yeah I can run my 300 hp on my bass boat at 60mph to that spot and fish but you cant make wake on a wake boat.

The size of the motor have little bearing on the size of the wake. Its the boat design. a 300 HP bass boat going full speed created almost no Wake. Smaller boats with much much less HP make a bigger wake. Pontoons regardless of motor size also makes some big wakes.

Well considering they are worried about these big wakes from big boats on really small lakes. Then the fight should be to limit boat motor size. Not all 300 hp motors are on bass boats. And not all 300 hp motor owners create big wake. But some do, just like the fight against the wake boat. Not all do it but some do.
    So if the lake isnt big enough for either, then ban it to a max hp size. It works wonders all over where it’s already in effect. And for the other comment about a home owner having a new boat with a 60 hp on that same lake. To bad should have fought against it. Life isnt always about what you want

Deuces

Due to new evidence I’m now pro Wake surf boarding stuff.
    better

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    My folks live on a lake in the north metro and you’ll see people with sickles out cutting down all the reeds along their shores. It’s completely illegal and rarely enforced.

Did you…

Call the local sheriff or DNR

? devil

Dang it…..I knew someone was gonna catch me on this one. You got me…

tangler
    Inactive

better

That would be me, but less graceful and with a bottle of crown.

All in good fun my friend. You gotta get the ballast sorted outed and do some wake surfin on that new Ranger!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Butthurt wrote:</div>
    better

That would be me, but less graceful and with a bottle of crown.

All in good fun my friend. You gotta get the ballast sorted outed and do some wake surfin on that new Ranger!

The livewell is so full walleye’s it doubles as ballast!

tangler
    Inactive

Fixed it for you…

The livewell is so full walleye’s cheeks it doubles as ballast!

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

As someone who has never actually seen one of these boats AND someone who doesn’t own lakeshore property, I feel obligated to comment and give my extremely informed opinion.

I think this is where we need to come together as a society and think of some realistic, implementable solutions to the ever growing problem that we are facing. HOW will we protect the precious lakefront property that these poor home owners worked so hard to obtain? Many of these people sat through 18 LONG years, filled with sweat, blood and tears before their trust fund kicked in, allowing them to finally purchase their humble abode on the water’s edge.

And now some jerk store in a wake surfing boat wants to ruin it? This is asinine, abysmal, this is abominable and by god it’s atrocious. Do you know how many hours of work went into the construction and maintenance of these properties? We are talking about HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of hours these homeowners spent waiting for landscaping companies to underpay undocumented immigrants to make this possible. And now you want some wake surfing boat to just mess it all up all willy nilly? Sorry, not on my watch.

Just try to put yourself in their shoes. You come home after a hard day on the golf course, and it was hard, the heat index was 95 and the beverage cart ran out of your favorite beer. On top of that, one of the cleats on your shoe broke partway through the round, it was indeed an emotional roller coaster.

You are looking forward to a dip in your temperature controlled, white-sand beach in the north metro. You’ve memorized that walk to the beach from the south wing of your starter home. It’s exactly 40 steps down a perfectly even grade to the sand, one step for every million dollars in your bank account. It’s so familiar that you can do it with your eyes closed, knowing exactly which step will result in your right foot meeting the 85 degree purified, weed free water of your beach.

Today is different though, on your 39th step, the big toe on your right foot is moistened. You stop in your tracks, “what is the meaning of this?” You look down and see that the perfect transition from emerald green grass to white sand has been tampered with, your perfectly straight line transition has been forever tainted. The cause of this injustice however is immediately apparent, there is only one logical explanation, crab people.

Long have they toiled under ground, waiting to usurp us surface dwellers. After failed attempt after failed attempt, they have finally gained a foothold, and have found a means to disrupt our stressful lives. Wake surfing boats.

The way forward is clear, an immediate and all-encompassing BAN on all wake surfing boats on all lakes. Except for those who live on the lake, or those who are relatives with those who live on the lake, or those who are ‘good people’. That’s a pretty broad term, but historically the crab people have not figured out how to integrate with our economy, so the easiest thing to do would be to just ban anyone from entering the lake that is below a certain level of wealth.

Only then can our lifestyles be preserved, only then will we truly be free from the oppression and tyranny of the crab people.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Fishing on the lake yesterday after that crazy rain I noticed this.
    Wake surfers? Or shitty landscaping and pipe laying job?

Attachments:
    1. 20190627_192212.jpg

2. 20190627_192209.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Closer look. You can see the storm sewer in the wash out

Attachments:
    1. 20190627_192212-3.jpg

2. 20190627_192212-2.jpg

3. 20190627_192212-1.jpg

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

As someone who has never actually seen one of these boats AND someone who doesn’t own lakeshore property, I feel obligated to comment and give my extremely informed opinion.

I think this is where we need to come together as a society and think of some realistic, implementable solutions to the ever growing problem that we are facing. HOW will we protect the precious lakefront property that these poor home owners worked so hard to obtain? Many of these people sat through 18 LONG years, filled with sweat, blood and tears before their trust fund kicked in, allowing them to finally purchase their humble abode on the water’s edge.

And now some jerk store in a wake surfing boat wants to ruin it? This is asinine, abysmal, this is abominable and by god it’s atrocious. Do you know how many hours of work went into the construction and maintenance of these properties? We are talking about HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of hours these homeowners spent waiting for landscaping companies to underpay undocumented immigrants to make this possible. And now you want some wake surfing boat to just mess it all up all willy nilly? Sorry, not on my watch.

Just try to put yourself in their shoes. You come home after a hard day on the golf course, and it was hard, the heat index was 95 and the beverage cart ran out of your favorite beer. On top of that, one of the cleats on your shoe broke partway through the round, it was indeed an emotional roller coaster.

You are looking forward to a dip in your temperature controlled, white-sand beach in the north metro. You’ve memorized that walk to the beach from the south wing of your starter home. It’s exactly 40 steps down a perfectly even grade to the sand, one step for every million dollars in your bank account. It’s so familiar that you can do it with your eyes closed, knowing exactly which step will result in your right foot meeting the 85 degree purified, weed free water of your beach.

Today is different though, on your 39th step, the big toe on your right foot is moistened. You stop in your tracks, “what is the meaning of this?” You look down and see that the perfect transition from emerald green grass to white sand has been tampered with, your perfectly straight line transition has been forever tainted. The cause of this injustice however is immediately apparent, there is only one logical explanation, crab people.

Long have they toiled under ground, waiting to usurp us surface dwellers. After failed attempt after failed attempt, they have finally gained a foothold, and have found a means to disrupt our stressful lives. Wake surfing boats.

The way forward is clear, an immediate and all-encompassing BAN on all wake surfing boats on all lakes. Except for those who live on the lake, or those who are relatives with those who live on the lake, or those who are ‘good people’. That’s a pretty broad term, but historically the crab people have not figured out how to integrate with our economy, so the easiest thing to do would be to just ban anyone from entering the lake that is below a certain level of wealth.

Only then can our lifestyles be preserved, only then will we truly be free from the oppression and tyranny of the crab people.

I always find it entertaining when “crab people” are jealous of other people’s success and fortune and need to find self comfort by mocking and insulting their hard work and rewards…lol?!?!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

This is a great topic. We have our cabin in Northern WI on a 370 acre lake. It is long, narrow and deep lake. Over the past couple years the number of these boats has grown to about 12 to 15 regulars. I’ve had waves blow over the front of my pontoon on multiple occasions. Not just the front of the deck but the front door of the pontoon. Most of them have finally understand they need to try and stay in the middle of the lake. But due to the number of them and how narrow the lake is, this isn’t very effective. It has been a hot topic for our lake district association. If we want to try and create new regulations around this, we need to work with the township on them. Even if you do get new regulations there are sure to be lawsuits contesting them. If you have the money to make it past that, then you have to come up with a way to enforce them. I’m not a fan of throwing away more money than we already do on fighting the Eurasion milfoil through the lake district. I went with the rip rap approach last summer. Luckily my shore line is only 50 ft long. It only took 10 yards of stones. Lots of trips up and down the hill with a wheel barrow.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0189.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We’re on a 520 acre lake, and ice out does way more damage every spring that wake surfers. We should ban winter!!! devil

JEREMY
    BP

Im not cool enough to have lake property but instead of listening to boats drive in circles in your bay all day if you wanna trade you can take my place and every weekend have your little girls cry when every Harley that couldn’t possibly have louder exhaust drops the hammer at the stop sign even though its a 30 mph zone. Or even better when their trying to sleep and the bars up the street close.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I always find it entertaining when “crab people” are jealous of other people’s success and fortune and need to find self comfort by mocking and insulting their hard work and rewards…lol?!?!

Bob,
    Most of them don’t realize that not everyone got their money through a trust fund. If you listened to the debates the past couple nights, there might still be hope for them. Have they started to promise free lake frontage for all?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

This is a great topic. We have our cabin in Northern WI on a 370 acre lake. It is long, narrow and deep lake. Over the past couple years the number of these boats has grown to about 12 to 15 regulars. I’ve had waves blow over the front of my pontoon on multiple occasions. Not just the front of the deck but the front door of the pontoon. Most of them have finally understand they need to try and stay in the middle of the lake. But due to the number of them and how narrow the lake is, this isn’t very effective. It has been a hot topic for our lake district association. If we want to try and create new regulations around this, we need to work with the township on them. Even if you do get new regulations there are sure to be lawsuits contesting them. If you have the money to make it past that, then you have to come up with a way to enforce them. I’m not a fan of throwing away more money than we already do on fighting the Eurasion milfoil through the lake district. I went with the rip rap approach last summer. Luckily my shore line is only 50 ft long. It only took 10 yards of stones. Lots of trips up and down the hill with a wheel barrow.

I watch bigger wakes from bigger boats on the Croix and sippi.

Anyone with a dock uses docking poles.

Attachments:
    1. images.jpg

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bzzsaw wrote:</div>

I watch bigger wakes from bigger boats on the Croix and sippi.

Anyone with a dock uses docking poles.

Fish blood. Not sure I’m understanding your comment. The waves came over the front of my pontoon when we were on a cruise. It is better to try and hit the wave head on. The croix definitely has bigger waves. Our lake is a 1/4 mile wide. I’m not one for trying to have regulations around it. And It doesn’t wreck my day. ????

Beast

Here’s the way I see it, If you can afford a wake boat, if you can afford to fuel it you have pretty deep pockets, you have a entitlement mentality and you feel you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, because you’re special. I have seen them almost swamp other small boats, I have seen them tip people over that were standing while fishing, and all they do is laugh and make another pass, not to mention boat rashes to boats tied up, the shoreline erosion,and in general no common sense.

blackbay

It really doesn’t take much to go to your township, city or county and get a surface use ordinance passed. LOTS of lakes have speed limits, motor restrictions, no wake hours, directions you have to ski, mandatory distances you have to stay from shore. There is no need for state laws.

FWIW there are way more crab people with lake shore than millionaires.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have seen them almost swamp other small boats, I have seen them tip people over that were standing while fishing, and all they do is laugh and make another pass, not to mention boat rashes to boats tied up, the shoreline erosion,and in general no common sense.

And you’ve reported this activity exactly how many times? This is clearly illegal according to state law. I suggest if you have a problem with it you report it to your sheriffs department or MN DNR CO.

Or, I guess if you want to see another law that you want to b!tch and complain about, go for it.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’d rather see an ordinance on lakes requiring boats to be a minimum of 18’ with no less than 125hp…most these issues of smaller boats getting swamp wouldn’t even exist. Nothing worse then getting stuck behind a tin boat in a channel cruising so slow it can’t even make a wake.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I see no logic in a wake boat other than to waste fuel. I’d be fine with confining their use to salt water. Inland I can’t see any reason for them to operate on any less than 5000 acre lakes and never within 500 yards of another boat, shoreline of any kind including islands and hours of use between 1 PM and 3PM…..of course empty coming and going to usable water and having to conform to ais requirements designed specifically for the crafts with the ballast tanks.

Personally I think James Bystrom has it dialed, I wonder how many of these a$$ tanks are owned by 20 something twinks as a first time boat? I think these things should have a whole section of regulations and educational requirements including a zero alcohol tolerance, pre-purchase. Then hang a couple million dollars of liability insurance requirement on them. And while I’m on a roll….toss those jet skis in with the wake boat requirements.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

We were out on the lake yesterday afternoon (didn’t use the word our lake to avoid firing anyone up) there happened to be no wake boats out and it did make a noticeable difference versus the last trips when there was. Lakes 300 acres. For the guys that don’t think there should be some regulation I’m assuming there’s a good chance you’re normally on bigger water. I would suggest to go fishing on a summer day on a smaller lake with wake boats running around and see if you opinion changes after fishing with them on small water. Not all lake shore owners are up tight yuppies. We didn’t have a trust fund. We lived cheap through our twenties, really limited debt, worked a crap ton of hours, and had good luck.

Beast

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>James Bystrom wrote:</div>
    I have seen them almost swamp other small boats, I have seen them tip people over that were standing while fishing, and all they do is laugh and make another pass, not to mention boat rashes to boats tied up, the shoreline erosion,and in general no common sense.

And you’ve reported this activity exactly how many times? This is clearly illegal according to state law. I suggest if you have a problem with it you report it to your sheriffs department or MN DNR CO.

Or, I guess if you want to see another law that you want to b!tch and complain about, go for it.

I have complained to the head of the lake association that monitors the lake, guess what he has parked at his dock?the dnr and county have only so many patrols that go from lake to lake, they can’t be everywhere,they hand out fines, a $200 fine is like a $20 fine to these people. there wouldn’t be any uproar over these boats if the owners would use some common sense,when you complain directly to the boat in question you get the same answer, “we pay taxes” what the hell you think, the rest of us don’t?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have complained to the head of the lake association that monitors the lake, guess what he has parked at his dock?the dnr and county have only so many patrols that go from lake to lake, they can’t be everywhere,they hand out fines, a $200 fine is like a $20 fine to these people. there wouldn’t be any uproar over these boats if the owners would use some common sense,when you complain directly to the boat in question you get the same answer, “we pay taxes” what the hell you think, the rest of us don’t?

It’s not about patrolling or handing out fines. It’s about awareness. If you don’t report it, no one thinks it’s a problem.

Beast

It’s not about patrolling or handing out fines. It’s about awareness. If you don’t report it, no one thinks it’s a problem.

You need to re-read my post, I have reported it, Do you by chance own a wake boat or have friends that do?

Gordio

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

You need to re-read my post, I have reported it, Do you by chance own a wake boat or have friends that do?

You reported it to a guy you admit has one of the boats.

Lakeshore associations don’t hand out fines for illegal behaviors. That’s law enforcement’s job. Report it correctly.

I have a 14ft alum fishing boat. You know what I do to not get swamped by these boats? I fish when they aren’t out. Common sense works both ways.

Beast

Just to be clear, I have talked to the lake association,,the game wardens, and the county lake patrols. and like many others, I won’t hook up to my boat, (a 20′ triton) on a weekend or over a holiday. lakes are just too nuts around here. and yes I have been on the bow of my boat standing on the trolling motor turned into the wake and have been wet to my beltline, so just imagine someone in a small boat and they get swamped or throw out, would you rather they drowned or wake boat start policing themselve? because apparently law enforcement isn’t having any effect.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I also have a 14 ft alumanim boat and fish a lake that these guys are on frequently. I never seem to get swamped or fall over board.
    Yes there is 1 or 2 a year that is a rude jerk off. But same with fisherman and home owners.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.