S is for Snake

• Sharon
    SE Metro

I was sitting outside reading with the boys, when Fritz got up from snoozing and pointed to the ground. I looked up and found this guy slithering past us!

Many people would go inside, but I rushed the dogs inside, then I fled back to Mr. Snake to see if he wanted to play. He did not. It was fun to watch him though and it takes everything I have not to touch him. Even with that large mouth lunging towards me.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190707_114103_172.jpg

2. IMG_20190707_114020_992.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That’s awesome we love snakes and such at our house to. Anything most dont like we flock to

Attachments:
    1. 20190629_195429.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My snake wanted to play. ;)

Attachments:
    1. 8D1AA30D-AB80-4A47-BF3E-FE5D9B9B3E2C.png

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

One of you must have been heavily sedated. wink

saddletramp

Bearcat
    Turn that snapper around and see how that works!

Sharon
    SE Metro

My snake wanted to play. ;)

Only you could say something like that, BK, and not sound creepy! rotflol I forgot you held that snake recently! Way to go!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bearcat
    Turn that snapper around and see how that works!

Oh man he was a powerful turtle. Couldnt imagine if that happened blush

Denny O
    Central IOWA

This thread I will never see again!!

Deleted

Love turtle soup ! Snakes around here get the sharp end of the shovel.

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

It’s sad that fear can compel a grown man to kill a very beneficial creature that doesn’t weigh but a few pounds at most.
    Teach your children well.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Saw a snake wading yesterday. Luckily I was on shore and he was in the water at the time. I initially thought moccasin, but I now think it was just a water snake. I’ll have to review the GoPro and see if I got a good shot to ID it.

I was mowing the lawn one day and stopped to admire a anole hanging out in the open. Out from the bushes a Black Racer tagged him. That was pretty cool to witness.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Thomas Nichols wrote:</div>

It’s sad that fear can compel a grown man to kill a very beneficial creature that doesn’t weigh but a few pounds at most.
    Teach your children well.

I was thinking the same thing. The snakes you run in to are not dangerous in any which way and dont want to bother you. Shoe them away, why kill them ?

Sharon
    SE Metro

Snakes play an important role in maintaining balance in the ecosystem. There’s no need to kill them. As predators, snakes keep prey populations in balance. They eat tons of mice and studies have reflected that when snakes help reduce the rodent population, the prevalence of Lyme disease in the environment is also reduced.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/the-reptiles-snakes-saving-snakes/2911/

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

As much as snakes give me the willies they play their part, I’m just much happier when they don’t play in my general area.

Rod Bent

Hi Sharon
    I just saw a garter snake too. It slipped through the daylilies when I stepped outside. It hid most of its body but I could see its back and tail. Biggest one I’ve probably ever seen. Hope it has a mouse for lunch!

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Snakes play an important role in maintaining balance in the ecosystem. There’s no need to kill them. As predators, snakes keep prey populations in balance. They eat tons of mice and studies have reflected that when snakes help reduce the rodent population, the prevalence of Lyme disease in the environment is also reduced.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/the-reptiles-snakes-saving-snakes/2911/

Absolutely,the constrictors we have here in Minnesota and Wisconsin,bullsnakes,(aka:gophersnakes) fox snakes,milk snakes,racers and rat snakes,all eat a ton of rodents.It’s almost all they will eat.That being said,I have seen bullsnakes and fox snakes snack on a nest full of baby robins but,that’s a once a year treat for them.Can’t blame ’em,I’d want to eat some chicken too if all I’d been eating is beef.I work with bullsnakes and yes,I have been bitten a time or two.Many,many,very short,very sharp teeth

Attachments:
    1. snake-with-Dad.jpg

2. me-and-snake.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was shocked when I visited a nature center at feeding time and saw that you do indeed have “constrictors” in MN. I don’t know why, but up to that point only thought pythons and boas did that.

If you pick up a garter snake be prepared for the stink that follows.

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

I was shocked when I visited a nature center at feeding time and saw that you do indeed have “constrictors” in MN. I don’t know why, but up to that point only thought pythons and boas did that.

If you pick up a garter snake be prepared for the stink that follows.

rotflol Yeah,I hear you with the garter snakes stink.Fox snakes will sometimes do that too.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Love snakes, they are awesome animals! I hit one with the mower by accident last year and felt terrible for weeks. My doberman hates them and I got to make sure she does not go after one if we see em. Snakes won’t hurt you round here, just give them space. Those garter snakes think they are Cobras when threatened!
    As with big snappers, only handle them far away from the business end!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Snakes are fun.

Attachments:
    1. 20180217_145348-1.jpg

2. 20180217_150046-1.jpg

3. 20180217_145348.jpg

4. 20180217_150046.jpg

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Snakes are fun.

Wonderful,simply wonderful.Very happy to see pics like this. applause

404 ERROR
    MN

I met a few snake wranglers in college, friendly folks…

The FW and I were on vacation in TN this summer. Stopped at a waterfall and decided we wanted to take a picture at the edge of the rocks. Saw a relatively small copperhead coiled under one of the rocks by the ledge. “Let’s take a picture over there (points 10′ in the other direction), it’s a better angle”. Never told her what I had found…

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

It’s not that I don’t like snakes, but we had 100s living around the house. Like 7 or 8 in the little shrub outside the front door. They lived under the step, on any given day you couldn’t go outside without running into 5-10 or more snakes. So while they have their place, it wasn’t under our step so we cleaned them up and plugged their holes.

B-man

I’ve taught my boys to embrace the neat critters in the woods too. They love snakes, turtles, birds etc.

I don’t think too many four year olds can ID a painted turtle, a chickadee or burning nettles, but it makes me a proud outdoorsman that my critters can mrgreen

Too many people have unwarranted fears of nature, or are just generally unaware.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190427_145735.jpg

2. IMG_20190625_172716_1.jpg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Anybody see or hear bout this one? Released to be caught again! applause

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190710-163648.png

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Anybody see or hear bout this one? Released to be caught again! applause

Yeah,I saw that this morning.That’s a BIG bullsnake. Biggest one I’ve ever captured and tagged was 62″,that ones much longer.They don’t get much bigger than that.

gary d
    cordova,il

I know a guy that lived on the outskirts of town and his female cat had kittens. He started out with 3 or 4. Then he was down one then another to a point they were all gone. About that time he also found a snake skin on a fence line. It measure about 8 foot. So now we now what happen to the kittens.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.