Running maps off of Phone vs Ice Unit

• lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Guys,

Do you see a benefit to running mapping off of your phone vs ice unit in winter?

I purchased a garmin unit but have always been a lakemaster guy with Hummingbird?

Was thinking of just running lake master off of my phone since it is easier to hold while driving and such or is the mapping that comes with the Garmin unit worth upgrading and using on the unit?

I looked back at threads and see that most people prefer the lakemaster mapping?

I would mainly fish wisconsin and Mississippi river.

Let me know your preferred method and mapping software thanks.

Gregg Gunter

Navionics is good. It often has better contours than Lakemaster.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Mostly when navigating in my truck I take my Lowrance and put it on the dash or center console and use that, it has a Navionics chip. If I’m walking I use my phone again with Navionics. If I had lakemaster on my phone I would probably just use that instead of paying for another.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Omnia Fishing Premium Pro mapping app that looks to be legit. It’s what I’m going to switch to next year.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Does anyone know of any mobile lake mapping apps that work with Apple CarPlay?

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

I just upgraded my Garmin stuff to Navionics Vision+ and it has been impressive so far. Even though I have Navionics and OneBoat subscriptions I will use ActiveCaptain 95% of the time so that I can see, create, and sync waypoints & tracks.
    I’m doing an ice-fishing snowmobile build right now and will just use my phone mounted to the handlebar. As soon as I turn my Garmin unit on it syncs both ways.

Karry Kyllo

Navionics is good. It often has better contours than Lakemaster.

It all depends on how well lakes have been mapped. Perhaps Navionics maps have gotten better since I bought mine but I’ve always thought that Lakemaster maps are better than Navionics in my experience and I use both and while ice fishing, sometimes side by side.
    Where I fish anyway, Lakemaster maps show features that don’t even show up on the Navionics maps that I have.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I have a small 5 inch hummingbird with lakemaster and navionics on my phone. The screen on my hummingbird is still better than my phone. I need a cell signal for my phone to work. Or maybe its possible to download the map to my phone? I can also use my hummingbird as a depth finder and can see my bait. Your phone can’t do that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.