Running 6 rods

• boos1906

Hey guys most of the lakes I fish you can legally run 2 rods per person. Lots of times I have 3 people in the boat but always only run 4 rods. However I am wanting to change that. Can you tell me some tips to accomplish this and not have a tangled mess. What length rods should I be using? The two main applications would be pulling bottom bouncers and trolling. I have a 18.5 ft boat. Is this even possible with this boat? Thanks guys

iowa_josh

We can do that down here. Catfish drifting mostly. Usually there is some compromise. Two straight out the back, two medium and two long rods out the sides or planer boards out the sides. Maybe two with more weight kind of close to the boat to cut down on tangling. It does seem like a couple of rods never catch anything, hence the compromise.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

if running bottom bouncers put 2 straight out the back with say a 2oz, then by the seats put 2 rods with 2oz, then 2 up in the bow with 3oz on, there should be enough separation there to not worry, if done it on a 18.5 ft with 5 people in the boat fishing 1 rod here in Minnesota. For trolling the easy answer there to get some planer boards to get separation.

Musky Ed

Not sure what you are set up for but walleye, just run 4 or 6 planer boards. Salmon, trout and such, you can run 2 downriggers with 2 dipseys and 2 planer boards. Or no downriggers go with 2 dipseys and 4 planer boards, or 4 dipseys with 2 on 1 or 1 1/2, and 2 on 3, and 2 planer boards.

boos1906

if running bottom bouncers put 2 straight out the back with say a 2oz, then by the seats put 2 rods with 2oz, then 2 up in the bow with 3oz on, there should be enough separation there to not worry, if done it on a 18.5 ft with 5 people in the boat fishing 1 rod here in Minnesota. For trolling the easy answer there to get some planer boards to get separation.

Thank you for the information guys. Would it be wise with bottom bouncers to a couple long rods like 9ft up front? I know some guys like long rods up front and assume it’s to spread lines out more?

boos1906

Not sure what you are set up for but walleye, just run 4 or 6 planer boards. Salmon, trout and such, you can run 2 downriggers with 2 dipseys and 2 planer boards. Or no downriggers go with 2 dipseys and 4 planer boards, or 4 dipseys with 2 on 1 or 1 1/2, and 2 on 3, and 2 planer boards.

Can I run 4 flatlines with mono or leadcore and get away with it? I hate fishing with boards and I know I can’t get away with running 6 boards without using boards.

boos1906

I’m going to be looking for a 9-10 ft bottom bouncing rod to help spread out lines. I’d like to stay around 100 dollars maximum. Any ideas on what to buy? Also need to pick up a couple long trolling rods and some leadcore rods. Any ideas?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’m going to be looking for a 9-10 ft bottom bouncing rod to help spread out lines. I’d like to stay around 100 dollars maximum. Any ideas on what to buy? Also need to pick up a couple long trolling rods and some leadcore rods. Any ideas?

Cabelas depth master rods are cheap and pretty indestructible. I have a couple for lead and I think you could use the lighter versions for heavy bouncers. Not the highest quality stuff but inexpensive and pretty tough.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.