2-3-08 Ham lake

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was able to make a quick trip to Ham lake just down the road from my house today. My girls had been itching to get out fishing and it was a very nice day for it. Pulled up in about 17′ of water on the lake and set up the shack. At 1st I was thinking we chose the wrong hole and there was nothing to see but our jigs on the LX-5. About 10 minutes later the school moved in and it was so thick you couldt even make out a jig on the flasher. Over the next hour or so we managed 25 sunnies and a few crappies mixed in. Jigging light jigs on 2# test and tipped with my favorite, euro larve did the trick. Either working the baits over the tops of the school to get the fish to come up to it to feed. This was only about 5′ under the ice. Our other trick was to slowly lower the bait threw the school and watch for the line to go slack as you lowered it. The crappies seemed to prefer this second technic.

Again size was pretty small. 6″ may had been above average. I would say Ham lake is another good lake for taking the kids out for some fast action. Make sure and go very light equipment for the best action.

Anyone else been on Ham lately? I know my neighbor had some luck up there a week or so ago chasing flags for pike.

Here are some pictures of Emily. She stuck it out working her bobber trying to hook those sunnies before they would spit the hook. Her sister Christina didnt catch any fish today but still had a great time. She was to busy running over to the neighbors fish house and letting them know every time we got a fish. It was a fun day on the water.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

The smiles say it all!

FDR

Scott Mueller
    Coon Rapids, MN

Thanks for the report on Ham.

Next weekend I think the City of Ham Lake is having a Winter Festival out on Ham, including a vintage smowmobile show.

Regards,

BlueSmoke

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Nice report Mike! Good to see the Girls out on the ice! Yep that grin says it all.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Febuary 9 is the Ham Lake snowbowl. There is going to be sled dog rides, skijouring, relay races, snow sculpture contest, broom ball tournament, silent auction, 18 hole golf course and more. Didnt see any thing about a fishing contest. Just copied those details out of our local paper. It run 9 to 3pm. Guess there is also a medallion hunt to.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Has anyone been up to Ham lately?

I suggested we give it a try this weekend to my Father, but he was concerned about ice conditions.

Sully

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

It should be good for ice fishing. Not sure about driving vehicles out there. Bring the cleats as there is not much snow left on the ice.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

It should be good for ice fishing. Not sure about driving vehicles out there. Bring the cleats as there is not much snow left on the ice.

Thanks Mike!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.