Rum River Water Level

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Well, I attempted to make a trip on the Rum today. It was to be the maiden voyage of the new Jon Boat. Unfortunately, the boat launch I planned to let out from didn’t have any water on it.

The water levels on that part (Rum River Central Park) seem to be down at least a foot and a half to two feet. A month ago, I launched a V14 Alumacraft out of that same access without a problem. Today, the water barely came up to the first cement block of the access. To launch, I think I would have to back my truck up into the river. UHG!

So…I am open to any suggestions anyone has to other boat launches that actually have enough water to launch a jon boat off a trailer.

steinw1

Have you ever tried the public landing about half way between Hwy 22 and Bridge St. in St. Francis, off of Hwy 7? It’s on the East side of 7 and it’s a sand landing, no cement. I’ve gotten my 14′ Lund in there several times. You’d have limited range but there are some decent holes that I’ve found ‘eyes in. Watch your depth very carefully, don’t go too fast. Let me know if you go, how you do.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I have been to the landing and seen it… but I have not launched out of there. I am leery to do so due to the incline and it being sand. Don’t REALLY want to get stuck trying to pull out of there. Do you know how deep it is there? Not TOO worried about going fast. If I DON’T want to get stuck… I kind of need to go REALLY fast..

steinw1

If I remember correctly, it was about 3-4 feet of the back of the boat, or a little farther out. I always used 4WD to get back off the incline, but never really dug in or had other problems. Then again, I was using either an S10 or a Jeep wrangler.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Thanks! I might give that one a try next week!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

My friends and I have used this access a couple time to launch his 12 ft. boat. No problems in or out. Just upstream there is a nice deep hole that should hold fish, but has never treated us well. There is another deeper spot upriver that holds some nice walleyes. One night we pulled 10 walleyes in a couple hours. Its about as far upriver as you can go from that access in a boat. There is a guy that lives around there that thinks he owns the fish, so don’t let him see you keeping fish or even catching them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.