Rum River

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Just curious to know how many of you out there are interested in seeing reports on the Rum River. Many reports that are posted in these here forums are great for the lay fisherman… but I know that there are many out there that don’t own boats or don’t have the time to take off on long trips as others do. Sometimes we only have an afternoon and it just isn’t practical to get the boat loaded up and ready to go. If there is an interest out there… I plan on putting some miles on these boots and the shore of this great waterway. This river is FULL of abundant and large fish. I have fished Smallie’s and Walleyes in the past and have also had the opportunity to pick up a few pike (as well as the intermittant carp). I am thinking that if people are interested, I will try to get out there on a weekly basis… maybe expand on up and down to see what the river holds. I know from past experience that it is not a very pressured waterway… and I would like to keep it that way. I will practice selective harvest (if I don’t bring one home every now and then… the wife will cut off my bait budget). I hope you will all do the same.

Anyway, keep an eye out for when I start my adventures. I will keep you all updated on the great bites that will be starting in another month!!!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Have waders will travel!!

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

Quote:

I will one Up you Calvin… Have Canoe will travel.

I try to take a trip down it (Isanti / St Francis Area) every year with some other buddies. There’s no fish in those waters.

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

Quote:

YUP! No fish in that little crick

I even heard it dried up last year and froze out this past winter.

bonecarl
    Rochester,MN

I’ve caught some good fish in the rum.Up around milaca and a little north of there to just before mille lacs.I’m very interested in some reports .

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I will one Up you Calvin… Have Canoe will travel.

I will one up you both
    have canoe, waders, and time off work, will travel

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I fish the area from St. Francis down to Anoka quite a bit. My friends are down there 3 or 4 nights a week, so they keep me posted on the hot bite. It only takes me 10 min. to get from the couch to the river bank.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I am working on trying to get my hands on a Jon boat. I plan on trying to fish the river from Princeton, across to Cambridge, down to St Francis… to Anoka (not all in one day). I really want to get a feel for this river and see if I can’t pull in a few dandies!!!

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

dave if you want some company on that trip let me know I would love to make a trip or 2 like that

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Will Do, Mike! Not sure when a boat will be available… I was hoping to find something and start scouting in the next couple weeks. I will give you a shout when I am ready to hit it.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i know you said a jon boat, but I do have a little 14′ fishing boat, that is already beat up but it works to float over some of the holes in a river

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Well… I got a boat now… newer alumacraft… V14 with a 9.9 Johnson. According to the owner… it is 1 year old and has only been used once. Looking at the condition… I would have to say that he may be telling the truth. Motor is a bit older, but looks to be in top condition as well. I went out and purchased seats, lights, battery, trolling motor, and a bunch of other stuff to get it ready for walleye season. Will be giving you a shout in about a month, Mike!

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

sounds like a plan, maybe I could evnen get some native redtails to use on our explorer serires

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

It only takes me 10 min. to get from the couch to the river bank.

Ya right
    Your mom tells me it takes that long JUST to find your shoes.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

SLIDER

ronzych
    Centerville,MN.

Have you been out lately? I am thinking of putting in the duck boat west of Cambridge on 95 and heading upstream. Have never tried the river but think it may be a fun adventure. What type of lures work best? Should I take a depthfinder with?

thanks,
    Ron

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I have not been on the river FISHING yet. Been too busy since opener. I am taking a freind out on Sunday though.

As far as what to bring… I would bring hip waders over a depth finder… depending on where you are fishing. The river is quite shallow for this time of year. We need rain badly. bring the depthfinder though. Because the water is so shallow, the fish will be stacked up in the holes… so please also practice selective harvest. Only keep what you plan on eating. Fish are quite vulnerable during this time.

As far as what to try… it depends on what you are targeting. This river has an abundance of Walleye, Northern, and SM Bass. Bass seem to hit well on blades. Northern best on cranks or lighter colored plastics. Walleeys is a combination of these as well as jigs with Grubs or Ringworms. The shallower you are fishing…the darker of lure you should present.

I will be on the river on Sunday… I will let you know how we do.

ronzych
    Centerville,MN.

Thanks for the info. I want to go up river in case the aircooled motor konks out on me. Have you ever tried up river from 95? I’m going out Monday. Maybe a downriver trip without the motor wuold be better(use 2 vehicles)I thought a 95 to 95 trip. Do you know the length of that trip? Is there a better trip to make? Any help from antone would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

We are going to start in Cambridge and head upriver with a trolling motor. We will be bringing 2 batteries… and a paddle. All else fails, easy enough to float down river with a paddle. I am not sure how far it is between princeton and cambridge as far as river miles go… But I will be treking it this summer quite a bit.

steinw1

I’m very interested. I’ve fished the Highway 24/Bridge St. to Highway 22/Viking blvd stretch for about 25 years but don’t manage more than 1-2 trips there a year now. I have a particular fondness for the Rum and have had far more success than not.Good luck.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.