Centerville Lake – Throwing Senkos to Bass

• theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Centerville Lake is a fishbowl style lake…16 feet deep in the center. I needed to work on skipping Senkos under docks & overhangs.. Yesterday I spent a few hours trying it out.

I’m experimenting with a 7 foot graphite extreme rod & president spinning reel combo from Bass Pro.. A yellow braided fireline & white, green & purple senkos. Hook size 2/0 & 3/0.

I’m finding fish in 3 feet of water.. thick weeds scattered..hitting on senkos.. under tree limb overhangs & shade. Docks didn’t produce very well but could be because docks are very well groomed on the lake.. very clear sand bottom without variance of bottom or structure. Water temps are 84 degrees. I was surprised I was finding them there but area did offer shade & weed cover.

Throwing these weightless worms on a spinning outfit is very easy to me. Being accurate is a different story !

When I’m on the trolling motor, trying to keep things straight & offer my partner equal chance.. I find myself with the perfect skip cast but 10 feet left or right of the target.. It’s just something that will take some time on the water. It’s exciting to watch the braid float from left or right once a fish has taken the line.

My nephew, my wife & myself caught 6 largemouths all of them 14″ except mine which was 16″

The worst part.. he was a bleeder, swallowed the hook. Hurt him bad. He’s in the fridge ready for the grill. All others we’re released with care, to be caught another day.

MY wife tried plastics out for the first time yesterday.. On about her 5th cast, she says “I’m just not good at this artificial bait thing.. shouldn’t we have minnows or something ?” 5 casts later she had a fish on & it was a good one. She’s addicted My nephew, is now a converted walleye fisherman He’s addicted to the bass too !

If I we’re to die tomorrow, my work here would be done.

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

I’ll be out again soon !! Had a 2 day tourney this past Sat & Sun.. Partner(s) and I placed 7th & 4th place on 2 different lakes in 2 days. Had to hydrate all day in the heat. It was hot but wouldn’t trade it for anything.. Sun took allot out of me.. Slept 11 hours afterwards Finished with about 13lbs each day. Deep vertical jigging to 25 feet at the bottom of a 4 foot hump in the middle of the lake with 7 inch twist tails texas rigs. An edumucation on feeling the bite !!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.