Rum River Report

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

My friends took me out on the river last night and we had a blast. These two river rats are out there about 3 times a week. Last night we fished a few miles north of the 22 bridge. We anchored up in front of a 7 foot hole and let our nightcrawlers drift down into the hole. This method produced 4 walleyes between 15 and 18 inches. There were also some smallies, carp, and sunfish that took the bait. I never even had a nibble the whole night, but it was still fun. The water temp was around 70 and the water was the cleanest I have ever seen it. We tried a 10 foot hole also with no success.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Just call me Dr. Walleye…

How about Dr. NoNibble…

Sounds like a good time with great friends.
    Maybe next time.

Ron

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I had gas, sun tan lotion, and smelly soap all over my hands. I can’t use that as an excuse though because I was handing the other two nightcrawlers all night. I don’t know what it was. Darn rivers. They should all be dammed up into lakes.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I had gas

After that I stopped reading

Ron

daylate

OK. I have been a resident of Ramsey for 12 years and I do in fact feel as though I have passed up a great oppritunity to get my wife more involved in the boat thing. I realize that the rum has had some very good years in the past, and I for one would never jepordize that as a result of a fishing report. That said… I was looking at just a cruise type ride in the boat a (alumicraft mag 165 with a honda 50 tiller) I know NO WAKE. Can anyone give me any info on depths and how far I can take the fam north from Anoka. Any info would be very much appreciatiated.
    Thanks!!!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I have that same boat.
    I can go up a couple miles with no real problems during normal water. I will check with a guy that fishes it more today.

As for:

Quote:

I for one would never jepordize that as a result of a fishing report

That is fine but the Rum gets fished harder than most realize and still is a great stream with in the metro area. It supports smallies over 20 inches, pike over ten pounds and good to great walleye fishing. With the support of catch and release it hopefully will stay like that for years to come. We on IDA like to share info about our trips as it helps others learn to fish better not just on the Rum but other lakes and rivers as well.

Ron

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

And Welcome to IDA.

Ron

daylate

Thanks for the info! Look forward to hearing what the other guy has to say.

daylate

Thanks Ron. Have been reading it for a while thought it may br time.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

About a half mile just to the bridge upstream after that I guess it gets somewhat scary.

Ron

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The river is pretty low right now, but it is raining as I type. I don’t know a ton about the river, so we take out the junk motors and boats when we are out there. Most of the time the sandbars are pretty harmless. I would not try that in a nice boat though.

batman
    Cambridge, Mn

Question: I live in Cambridge and have never fished the Rum, do you know if there are any cats in the river up this way?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I am going with YES but the size is questionable.
    Ron

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

I fished the lower rum for several years with mainly live bait and in all that time I never caught a cat, which surprised my, if you want to catch cat the pool above Anoka is loaded with them.

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

On the mississippi that is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.