Rum River quick report

• DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Been out on the Rum (Anoka) about 3 times in the last 8 days or so only for about 3 hours each outing in the afternoon after work. Been hitting some pretty respectable smallies each trip out. Had a couple 19″ fish last night along with a couple 13″-17″ fish. Last week I had 1-20″ fish to take top honors when I had my 3 year old out with me. That was alot of fun.

I have been pitchin the banks with tubes and hair jigs on just about every bottom side of the outside bends. Find one fish and chances most often I find a small school of fish that I will sit on and make 50 short flips to the area until I get another one to go.

No high numbers of fish on my outings, about 6 smallies each day. Its so close to home that its hard not to hit for a couple of hours.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

That sounds like a lot of fun, Steve. I hear you about the close to home. Usually I fish the Mississippi in that area this time of year but not this year with the low water.

How deep is the water in the Rum? Can you run a larger boat or is it limited to smaller boats?

Redddave

In my neck of the woods north of Cambridge its small boats only. 14 foot or smaller. With all the rain we had the other night she is running fast. I am going to check it out tonight to see how the levels are.

Redddave

Well we got that rain 2-3 days ago and the river is looking good. Water levels are up to a health level, and the water is not as murky as it could be.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Good to hear Tom! I was worried that it might dirty up.

Francis,
    You can launch big boats in the Anoka area. They re-built the ramp and parking lot the last couple years now. Its a fairly shallow but predictable landing. You could run a big boat on the Rum in this section. THere is a large no-wake zone from the ramp north about 1/4-1/2 mile up. Plenty of fishing spots along the way though. As you get up a couple miles, the water starts to get pretty skinny.
    Overall there is about 3/4 mile south of the ramp and a couple miles north that is fully navigable for bigger boat. I have had my Ranger 620 in here a couple times over the years, however the jon boat works real nice here.
    I wish the Anoka/champlin water levels of the Miss were back to normal…I am overdue for a trip there. I got my jon boat in at Champlin about a month ago, but it was alot of work getting the boat over the shallow spot behind where everyone “powers on”.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I guess the fish are going nutz on the river right now. My friend has been fishing the rum all summer and has caught some nice bass and walleyes. In the last three days they have caught and released 10 smallies over 18″ with the biggest taping out at 20.5″. He also caught a 26″ walleye and a 10 lb. northern. This is all shore fishing in an area just below a feeder creek.

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

I fished the rum in anoka alot when I had my jon boat, mainly for walleyes and used to do very well on nice eaters, then things really slowed down, I know there are some big pike in there so I,m not sure if they have been feasting on walleyes or what.I have been tempted to throw my big boat in there but I thought there was a horse power restriction?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.