Little help on fishing the Rum

• Redddave

Well I final got the boat motor working and went out on the Rum on Saturday. I am on the Princeton to Cambridge section and its all logs and sand, no rocks. I caught nothing and only had one bit. I was fishing the turns and eddies using jigs tiped with crawlers. I tryed, white,black,red,crawfish colored, and fluresant yellow. I also tryed some cranks, but still only got one bite on a white jig. Any advice would be helpful.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Tom don’t give up on this river it is only going to get better each week. It sounds like you may be hitting the right spots just hang in there as the water cools down the fish will start to stack in the holes long the river. Some days you will have 50 fish others not one. Deep holes and current breaks are what you need to keep working. Good luck

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Tom!
    I know that stretch well and have fished it for more than 30 years. Towards the end of September into December can be fantastic with October being the best. Brush piles and logjams might be better right now than in the holes. And when you are in flat stretches look for subtle depth changes like a spot that goes from 4′ to 6′ or a sand dune like area where fish will hide in the depressions.

There are some nice areas to fish upstream and down from the park in Cambridge. Just upstream from the access at co rd 14 is one of the deeper holes you will find. Like the previous poster said it should just keep getting better as we move into fall. Good Luck!

And isn’t Tom Bombadil from “The Hobbit”? I swear that was the name of the guy that turns into a bear…… anyway, I digress. Later!

dd

Redddave

Well I did go out that night and caught some small eyes and broke off on a big northern. It appreared the closer we got to sunset the better. I am hoping to go out tonight again, I usally go on at the Co Rd 7 access.

Yes you are right about the name being in the Lord of the Rings, however he is not the guy you are thinking of that was Beorn. Tom Bombadil, by Tolkien own adminsion is an egnima. In the Lord of the Rings he could handle the One Ring and it had no power over him. He was the only one in Middle Earth that had that ability.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey thats even cooler than turning into a bear.

You will find that the northerns will go on a tear here pretty soon too. I’ve been bitten off a dozen times or more on trips. And there are some big toothy critters as well as big smallies in the Rum. Have fun sir!

dd

HT2

I’m Heading out of Anoka tomarrow and see how it goes ill let ya know. Wish me luck.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

I went out there today and somthing is about to RIP!!! 4 boats at the landing going out 8 when I left all were not the same when I went out. Only got a smallie and a Pike. there is something to come. Talked to the Guy I know that hit 3 fish and was at 32 pounds total. All three come out of the Rum last Oct in one trip. Well let me say there are tips to come,stand by. PM me if you really want to know its not that new of info, if you fish that area at all.

HT2

The fall bite is starting to shape up a bit with a mixed bag of fish Pike,Walleye, and Smallmouth all to be had. Just fishing the channel with jig and minnow and live bait rig like a Lindy Rig. Good luck.

Redddave

Well got a 20in eye, 2 days ago, went out for an hour yesterday afternoon, no fish but was getting hits draging crawlers on a 1/4 white jig. I may have to try a lindy rig.

HT2

On days like we have had the last few weeks were we get some water running off the streets and into the river the key sposts is the storm drain inlets up and down the river. the worms wash down from the steets and the fish know this works well on the Mississippi too. give that a try. Remember where these spots are at they will play a HUGE roll in the fall.

Redddave

Thats a good tip, will remember it. Unfortuantly the section I fish has no storm drains on it. At least the rain may bring the levels up on the river. We could use a 2-5feet more in the Rum right now.

HT2

try any spot where the water is running into the water even just running down the bank out of a feild or somthing.

firefire

Has anyone had the chance to get out on the Rum?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.