Rum Drinkers

• mudhole

What do you drink as a standard?

What is your favorite?

mudhole

Guess I should have said, Bacardi is my standard. And I don’t venture out much. Mount Gay is probably one I’ve had that I like the most. The wife had Kraken last year on vacation and liked that one.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

the appleton rum was fantastic for splurging. otherwise Rondiaz was better than than most of the big players like captain or bacardi.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I only have rum furring the winter holidays and then it is Kraken.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I used to drink captain cokes like it was going out of style. Now if I go to the bar which is not often ill still order 1 or 2. I don’t think our house hold has had rum in it in a long time.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I will drink fruity rum filled drinks on Caribbean Islands, and that’s it.

A rum and coke would nearly make me gag.

Brad Dimond

Pussers – from Guyana, used to be the daily rum ration for British sailors.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’ve had countless drinks in my lifetime and I can safely say rum drinks are the only ones that consistently make me sick the next day. Probably all the sweet components usually added to the cocktails. I did enjoy the rum drinks I had in Jamaica, just not the next day

Jake
    Brainerd

A local liquor store owner last week let me sample a couple “sipping rums”. They sure were tasty, and my only rum experience is Captain years ago. I forget what the brand was but one was a 25yr and a I think a 15 or 20 year. I preferred the younger one, but not by much. Both were really enjoyable. Say’s he was getting some of them in next month. I might have to splurge and get one. I should have taken a picture of the sample bottles, I can’t even come close to recalling the name.

Edit: Quick google search and I found em. Ron Centenario was the brand. The older one was the 30 year (cool/fancy bottle) and I can’t remember the younger one. Either the 20 or 25year. I remember the 30 being much bolder/deeper flavor. Younger one was right on the money taste wise for me. But I’m not a rum drinker so what do I know. Was fun getting a sip tho!

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

I can’t contribute a whole lot to a rum thread, but it got me remembering about a summer drink I used to put away years ago.

It was only three ingredients: frozen lemonade concentrate, ice and Bacardi. Portions of each changed as the night went on.

Ron F
    Rochester MN

I wasn’t going to reply because I don’t consider myself an expert and I haven’t drank much rum the last ten years. But currently I am slowly working through a bottle of Mount Gay that is a good mixer. I also have a bottle of 25 year old Appleton’s that’s a good sipper. I’ve had it for 15 years I bet.

Years ago I enjoyed a couple bottles of Cockspur. As I recall it had almost bourbon like qualities to it. Sort of a cross between the two. I should revisit that one.

Rum has such a wide variation.

Deuces

Cuba libres in Puerto Rico is about the only rum I’ll do.

Don Kisselbach

I have been a Mt.Gay Eclipse drinker for 40 years. Best Rum ever!!

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Dark and stormies for us! Get good ginger beer (Bundaberg is my favorite at the moment and can find it on sale at costco), some fresh lime juice and a slice of lime, and your favorite dark rum (I think Goesling is historically the recipe but honestly who cares), and enjoy!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Captain is my drink of choice. Splash some Diet Coke on it and Im a happy guy.

picklerick
    Central WI

I wasn’t going to reply because I don’t consider myself an expert and I haven’t drank much rum the last ten years. But currently I am slowly working through a bottle of Mount Gay that is a good mixer. I also have a bottle of 25 year old Appleton’s that’s a good sipper. I’ve had it for 15 years I bet.

Years ago I enjoyed a couple bottles of Cockspur. As I recall it had almost bourbon like qualities to it. Sort of a cross between the two. I should revisit that one.

Rum has such a wide variation.

I don’t drink rum at all, but I’m genuinely disappointed that Ron F teed this up nearly 24hrs ago and nobody went for it. Myself included.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I can’t contribute a whole lot to a rum thread, but it got me remembering about a summer drink I used to put away years ago.

It was only three ingredients: frozen lemonade concentrate, ice and Bacardi. Portions of each changed as the night went on.
    [/quot

I had made gallons of those. Also added powdered sugar. Started the day with regular Bacardi and finished people off with Bacardi 151.

Didn’t ever drink the stuff myself.

Jonesy

I should probably explore more as captain and coke tends to be my go to cocktail. Figure there has to be a better rum out there than plain ole captain.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I like coconut rum the best! I think the brand I usually get it Malibu and it’s a nice way to sweeten up a regular rum and coke. Although I do also like cold Bacardi Seven (Bacardi rum and 7 up pop) on those hot days golfing! mrgreen

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

My Go-To drink for years has been the Skinny Pirate! They just taste so good….

ThunderLund78

Here’s a tip… are you on a guys’ or girls’ weekend where you might have to throw down on 2 or more consecutive nights like you did in your younger, more stupid days but after night #1 you feel like swearing off booze forever??? Try a Capt Morgan and Orange Juice. You can thank me later!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Dutch i forgot about the ole 151.Back in the day we used to drink it in flaming shots and another with Kahlua in it.God that stuff was nasty the next day,the good old days.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Do rum drinkers see captain as a serious rum? I always thought it was either light or dark and the captains and Malibu were just sugary stuff for the kids.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.