Anyone care to educate a creek-fishing noob?

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

So I keep hearing about people catching really cool and interesting fish species on creeks in the area, but I have no idea where or how to start. I live near shigle creek and I’ve fished it a few times, but I never seem to catch anything.

The coolest thing I’ve ever caught in terms of small, strange fish are Mississippi River Shiners on a #14 trout hook and a nibble of waxie.

How does a guy get any of the action?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Try a jig and piece of crawler or a few wax worms. You could also try a basic slip rig which is about the same as a Lindy rig. Just match your weight to the flow of the water.

Where Rice creek dumped into the mississippi was always a good spring spot for me. Where the Rum connects with the mississippi is another. Used to fish a few places out on the Crow to.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Agreed about the confluence of Rice Creek (Mahnomin Park). Basic sinker/crawler rig can yield anything from cats to buffalo to walleyes in there, especially during the high water.

Oh great, you just convinced me to go down there today.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Dont forget the Muskies in there to.

armchairdeity

I think I’ll head up there for a while this afternoon… I’ve got a tub of crawlers and it’s only a few miles from me.

Thanks for the suggestion!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Was down there on Saturday with no luck. It is really high and flooding in the park. If you want to get out to the confluence, I reccomend bringing hip waders! Good luck!

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Microfishing It is much like finesse fishing at it’s finest. The best setups for small streams are 6-9 foot ultralights.2-4 pound test is best any more than that makes bites hard to tell. I go to the fly shops and buy the thinest gauge hooks I can and have found size 18-22 is best. Bait is no more than an ant, gnat, strip of worm. 1 worm can last you all day plus. For a float I buy the strike indicators for fly fishing. For weight you need to get “Micro” split shot Again from a fly shop. Any amount of current break will hold micros even pebbles in a stream bed.

Using these techniques you can catch fish the size of fatheads or even crappie minnows. These minnows will hit drifting objects such as you bait with more aggression than most would believe.

Very basic but I hope it will help you out.
    Aaron

armchairdeity

Thanks man… I have really enjoyed the times I spent fishing for minnows, though I was usually using about 1/4 of a wax worm for bait. It really is amazing to see a 3″ shiner minnow dragging a 4″ slip bobber across the surface of the water. I was using #14 hooks, but I will check into the fly shop idea for smaller gear.

What’s REALLY cool is when you’re fishing this way you can actually catch the really extreme sized minnows for their species… a 4″ fathead or a 2.5″ crappie minnow. Crazy cool… and people look at you like you’re on crack, too.

Hillarious.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.