Going Native on the Mekong

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Today I went to the Mekong River to try fishing. I made some new friends and I was soon on the path to another new lifelister. These Lao guys had figured out how to catch fish here. They already had 3 species in their creel that would be new lifelisters for me. I quickly copied their technique. They very kindly shared their tips with me.

Before I even have all my lines in the water they pull a Goonch out of the Mekong. And then a 2nd one right after that. I know there not big BUT IT’S A GOONCH! I now have my sights set on this species.

My new friend Boosee is grilling up some fish for lunch.

I then catch this decent Redtail Catfish.

And then I finally get a new lifelister. In Lao, they call it, “Pa Yown.” It is a Schilbeid Catfish similar to the Sheatfishes.

My bankside set-up includes a big umbrella for the hot sun.

I know some of you are wondering if I caught these things on ant eggs. Well today the local bait of choice was the “Termite.” That’s right, Termites with wings that cannot fly. I then had to ask if they ever eat them. What do you think the answer was? This is the only place I know that I have to tell the people not to eat my fish bait.

I then caught another Zigzag Eel and I could say it was a PB.

What an awesome day it was to fish with the locals. I respect their abilities to catch fish. Very rarely do I ever outfish the locals. I just try to learn from them.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Very cool Got me out of my office, if only in my mind for a few minutes Thanks for sharing

big G

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Way cool as always

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Always love them, but I do have to say I am curious…

Quote:

Before I even have all my lines in the water they pull a Goonch out of the Mekong. And then a 2nd one right after that. I know there not big BUT IT’S A GOONCH!

Is this similar to the GOOTCH, the bully from Different Strokes?

-Mark

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I have said it before, but THANK YOU for your posts. They are very informative, and give a small glimpse into a world most of us will never see. I enjoy them very much

lancew

Simply awesome!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

very neat to see the variety of fish from one spot!

timmy

Another awesome report!

It seems as if in the vast majority of fishing reports from over there, the fish you catch are mostly ‘minnow’ sized. The exception to that norm seems to be the pay ponds – where you report a lot of bigger fish. Is that mostly a result of over fishing/lack of conservation? I am curious.

Tim

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Very cool! What an experience

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

mudcatman
    Apple Valley, MN

Cool stuff Mike! The Goonch are very cool. Good luck out there!

prieser
    Byron, MN

You catch quite a few fish that I wouldn’t even handle.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Another awesome report!

It seems as if in the vast majority of fishing reports from over there, the fish you catch are mostly ‘minnow’ sized. The exception to that norm seems to be the pay ponds – where you report a lot of bigger fish. Is that mostly a result of over fishing/lack of conservation? I am curious.

Tim

Some of the smaller specimens are actually the top end for their size like the Gourami species, Nandid Perch, Climbing Perch, etc. I have also caught huge Hampala Barbs and Mahseer for their species in the wild. But yes there definitely is a lack of conservation here and it shows. The Mekong and larger reservoirs are my best bet to catch something big though. And I have seen some huge Giant Snakeheads that I have been unable to hook yet in heavily pressured waters. So yes, the big fish are here but they are not super abundant because of the heavy pressure.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I have said it before, but THANK YOU for your posts. They are very informative, and give a small glimpse into a world most of us will never see. I enjoy them very much

Huge DITTO!!!!!

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Quote:

Quote:

Huge DITTO!!!!!

x3!!!!!

armchairdeity

In the second goonch picture it looks like the line is crimped to the hook with a brass ring… is that something unique to the area? I’ve never seen anything like that before, that I can recall…

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

In the second goonch picture it looks like the line is crimped to the hook with a brass ring… is that something unique to the area? I’ve never seen anything like that before, that I can recall…

Over there they flatten the end of the hook instead of an eye. Snell tying is the best way to attach the hook then.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Yea Outdoors explained it right. Hooks with flattened spade like ends are common here. You have to do a snell knot to attach it to the line. It is actually a good knot and keeps the line more straight with the hook; better than a polamer. A Polamer may be a stronger knot but for light tackle sometimes the presentation is better with a snell knot. It probably doesn’t make a huge difference but hooks like that are very common here and when you fish very tiny hooks for minnows, they are too tiny for an eyelet and so a spade end is the only kind of hook to get.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Been watching River Monsters on cable and I’m not sure if I’d handle any of them, but great pictures and works well with the TV show, keep them coming, thanks!

Al

armchairdeity

Cool, thanks for the explanation,

desert vet
    3rd Bn. 1st SFG (A) Ft. Lewis, WA.

Wow!! Just happened to come across the site, I hope you still active in the forum. FYI, that eel is consider a fish by the locals called “Pa Lote” and pa yown is pronounce “yawn” as in pawn shop. Great report, thanks.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

He’s still around, although I don’t know how much he visits this site anymore. He’s back in the US, now, though.

desert vet

Ryan, thank you for the info. I’m planning to visit the country in Dec. and will bring my travel rod to explore the southern part of the country which according to my brother, is where the country’s main fishery locate.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Here I am. I’ve been unplugged from the site for awhile. It’s good to see that people are still enjoying my old reports.

The city of Pakse is in the south. This must be what you are talking about. Unfortunately, I never made it down there but it is an unnavitable stretch of the Mekong which like a dam holds a ton of migrating fish. It is some pretty awesome looking rapids. Check out the series on tv called, “Human Planet.” I think it’s on Nat Geo. or Discovery or something. Anyway, there is a great segment on that section of river.

desert vet

I glad you stop by.. Yes, that’s the place i was refering to. I passed thru Pakse City when I was a little kid so i don’t really remember much about the place. I have a cousin who went back to Lao and is working for NGO in Vientiane at the moment, so let me know if you need to get in touch with someone when you go back there again.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.