Rigging for Siamese Carp

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

I became a student at my opportunity to fish for Giant Siamese Carp and I took good notes.

It takes takes 5 ingredients to make this Carp bait: Lum (which is rice husks ground to a fine flour), cooked corn, cake, buttermilk flavoring, and water.

You start with the cake. It’s almost like old donuts; not too sweet but very cake-like.

Then you add the Lum with the cake.

Work this in really good. Lum gives the bait the stickiness you need.

Then add some freshly cooked corn. This stuff was still steaming in the pale.

Work it altogether good.

Next, add the buttermilk flavoring. I suppose you could throw it on the griddle and have some pancakes if you’re hungry too.

I know my fishing knots but this one was new to me and it holds well. This is 50 lb. mono to my 80 lb. braid. He then took a lighter to the tag ends and created a nice little ball on the end.

This was our bait feeder with a 3/0 Gamakatsu tied on the end.

Then don’t forget the foam balls on the hook. This is the essense of the system. The bait ball goes to the bottom and begins its desinigration process while the hook is suspended by the foam balls right where the fish is feeding on the bait particles coming off. It is very ingeneous.

Start packing the ball really tight.

When it is about the size of a cantelope and about 2 lbs. in weight then you are ready for the cast. This won’t cast far but 10 yards is plenty good.

Then set your bait clicker, sit and wait for the fight of your life.

liljac
    Lakeville, MN

wow if I were a fish I would be thinkin Jackpot!!

brett-king

Crazy stuff and a neat story thanks.I can see BK`s gears a clickin on this one.He will be mixing huge batches of this stuff in one of Dean`s tanks.

jime

CastandBlast,

This must be a catch and release “only” pond to sustain these beasts. Do those cats have sharp teeth? I noticed
    the steel leader.

Jim
    I am afraid I might start dreaming about swimming in that
    “lake”.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Quote:

This must be a catch and release “only” pond to sustain these beasts. Do those cats have sharp teeth? I noticed the steel leader.

As I understand it, there are several private catch-and-release ponds in the area, but this one is the most well-known and the oldest. Then again I may be wrong, but that’s my understanding. There is another one not too far from there that focuses specifically on predatory gamefish, also.

Cool stuff!

As for teeth, well, they have the classic catfish “velcro pads” in their mouths, but they don’t have teeth like a Goonch. However if you’re throwing cut bait for predatory fish in some of these places, there are snakefish which will cut a line like a pair of sharp scissors. Even pacu, which can either be carnivores or herbivores, depending on the environment, can snip a line… hence the leaders.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Pictures, pictures, pictures we need pictures of these beasts you are catching.

jime

Look on the left side of the page. Tons of beasts pictured.

Look here…………Giant Siamese Carp

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

WOWWWWW! Out of all the posts (sorry guys!), I really look forward to yours! My Bro lives in Taiwan and wants me to visit, may have to take a boat ride west. Thanks for the posts, like I said, they are the best. BK and SteveD, hum, ahh, bait the fish and not the hook? I’m thinking now!

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

My Bro just emailed, he said a little south from there, actually alot of south (1600 miles?). My bad. Wonder if Lakemaster has a chip?

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Bungsamlan has become a very popular catch and release pond in Bangkok. This lake has been around for many years now and so the fish in it have reached some incredible sizes. It may have been on TV before on Nat. Geo. Thailand has quite a number of payponds where these fish are great sport. The Thais love fishing contests where they can win a trophy and have some bragging rights. It is almost like a bowling league that meets once a week. They even have storage lockers at Bungsamlan that guys rent to store their fishing gear.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Holy Carp that’s a huge bait ball

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Quote:

Bungsamlan has become a very popular catch and release pond in Bangkok. This lake has been around for many years now and so the fish in it have reached some incredible sizes. It may have been on TV before on Nat. Geo. Thailand has quite a number of payponds where these fish are great sport. The Thais love fishing contests where they can win a trophy and have some bragging rights. It is almost like a bowling league that meets once a week. They even have storage lockers at Bungsamlan that guys rent to store their fishing gear.

I never thought I’d envy someone from a third-world country, but that’s an incredible idea!

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

CastandBlast,

This must be a catch and release “only” pond to sustain these beasts. Do those cats have sharp teeth? I noticed
    the steel leader.

That is actually Mono to Braid. The Dog-Eating Cats have teeth like a Flathead, The Pacu have human-like teeth, and the Giant Carp and Mekongs have no teeth.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.