Moonlight Gourami

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

I started my day out by planting 50 baby Giant Snakeheads in this remote lake I found by looking on Google Earth. Technology is great! You can only see a fraction of this lake in the picture.

We are at the end of the rainy season now so the lakes are at their peak level. I bought 50 snakeheads for $15 so I look at it as an investment into my fisheries. Hopefully it will pay me back. These snakeheads grow very fast. About 3-5 lbs. in the first year.

I then went to a pond where I knew there were some Moonlight Gourami. They are a tough species to catch. I use ant eggs on a very small hook.

I was working a school of them that was coming to the surface to feed. Some of them would suck my ant egg in and spit it out just as fast. I finally was able to hook one of these cool looking fish.

I continued to work that school and was unable to catch another. This almost wraps up the Gourami family for me. There is a Kissing Gourami left but they are very rare. Only a few places in Thailand have them.

I then went to a different pond and targeted them Grey Featherbacks again and I caught a nice one that taped out to 14 inches.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

The gourami would make a great aquarium species.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

The gourami would make a great aquarium species.

That fish is in my tank now.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

I have kept the usual State side varieties blue, albino, and kissing but they can be aggressive as you know.

whittsend

Not sure what the laws are over there, but I wouldn’t try transplanting those things stateside unless you like getting into trouble!

Nice exotics though!

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Not sure what the laws are over there, but I wouldn’t try transplanting those things stateside unless you like getting into trouble!

There are no laws over here.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

STOP No one is trying to import anything. Geez It was a casual remark on my part being very familiar with the farm raised fish sold in the US for “pets” which are obviously related to the fish he is catching in the wild. Most freshwater tropicals are farm raised for sale and many saltwater species are also to prevent the depletion of the wild stock. The guppy you see at Walmart with all the pretty colors originally were brought into Mexico and I think the southern US to help curb malaria which is spread by mosquitos by eating their larvae. They were all gray in color.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

I just want to clarify. Of course I will not be transplanting Snakeheads to our home waters. I’m not stupid. However, these waters over here are my sporting grounds and I am just trying to improve what I can for future sport for myself. Snakeheads are quickly becoming one of my favorites to fish despite the way the media characterizes them. I want you all to know how cool these fish are especially in their native waters. That being said, I agree with most that think we should be vigilant to keep these invasives out of our home waters.

Drew,

I am amazed at how different species of the same family act. The Snakeskins and 3-Spots love ant eggs but the Moonlight is different in its feeding habits. Maybe they will adapt in different environs. I am looking forward to observe that Moonlight over the next few months.

metromuskie
    Saint Paul

Awesome post like always. That moonlight is a cool looking fish. It would be a nice aquarium fish if they sold them over here.
    Do you have any pictures of your aquarium?

whittsend

Quote:

STOP No one is trying to import anything. Geez It was a casual remark on my part being very familiar with the farm raised fish sold in the US for “pets” which are obviously related to the fish he is catching in the wild. Most freshwater tropicals are farm raised for sale and many saltwater species are also to prevent the depletion of the wild stock. The guppy you see at Walmart with all the pretty colors originally were brought into Mexico and I think the southern US to help curb malaria which is spread by mosquitos by eating their larvae. They were all gray in color.

Drew and Castandblast… I think I either mistyped what I intended to say or you misinterepreted it…. For that I appologize. My main point was to discourage people from thinking its a good idea to transplant ANY non-native into our waters. I certainly didn’t think you two have any intentions whatsoever of doing so, but others might get the wrong idea (by no fault of you own) simply by reading a post about non-natives and transplanting… With problems with invasives in WI/MN, I don’t think we can be too careful… Put ’em in tanks all you want.. Just don’t dump ’em in the Mississippi when you get sick of them. (Point directed as general advice to less educated persons who might come accross this post and think its a good idea… Obviously, IDO’ers have much more common sense than that…)

Here is my PM response to a PM I received. I think this explains my thoughts about this thread a little better. Again, not at all my intent to criticize anyone in particular – instead, I did intend to remind people its not such a great idea in the US.

“Sorry you took it that way, it wasn’t my intent to bash anyone.

It took me a second read of your PM to even remember which post you were refering to. I guess I didn’t get the impression that it was antagonistic when I wrote it. I don’t even remember what forum it was in, and am having a hard time finding it to review exactly what I said!

Again, not my intent to bash or humiliate anyone. I think you took my post a little out of context. It was not directed towards anyone specifically, but more of a reminder for the guys in the states not to do this sort of thing….

If you think of it from my perspective, 99.999% of the IDO’ers on this site fish in the good old USA, mostly close to my home. Obviously you [the PM’er] are not a dumb person. However, if its even close to being a possibility that a few of the readers on this site take that post’s content as a green light to dump non-native species into lakes and rivers close to my home, then I don’t think its a bad idea to add a disclaimer post (in a sense — which is what I considered myself to be doing at the time I wrote the reply), reminding people that its really not such a good idea to do this back home.

The only message I was really trying to say was, “it might be ok for [the post’s author] to do it overseas, but lets not be silly and try something like this in our own waters, guys…” I realize that (hopefully all) IDO’ers are a little smarter than that, but I’ve dealt with some really uneducated people in the past, and would hate to overestimate anyone when it comes to helping safeguard WI/MN’s incredible water-based resources.

Does that make sense? Again, it wasn’t an attack, but considering how many problems invasive species are giving us here (quaga mussels, spiny water fleas, bighead carp, snakeheads, etc, etc, etc…) I’m not sure how great of an idea it is to publicly encourage transplanting non-natives, even if it is 10,000 miles from here. I realize that obviously wasn’t the poster’s intent, but some people might take it incorrectly. Not so much a commentary on [the poster’s] doings, but more of a commentary on what message do we really want to send to Joe Public….

Sorry you took my post as you did. Not my intent.

Mike”

Thats my explanation of my post, I’ve already heard the explanations from others…… Lets all relax and let it go if possible….

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Whittsend,

I just want you to know that there is no offense taken. You clarified yourself well and I understand your passion to protect our home waters. I share that passion as well.

I enjoy posting here because of all the positive feedback I get from you all. The way things are done here really blow our Western thinking minds away. And some things get me to wonder if our ways are all that right.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.