Isaan Jewel

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

I have been over here for almost 8 months already and the learning curve is starting to get broken down a bit. I can safely say that I have about 7 species mastered over here so far, where I can go out on any given day and catch these 7. The number should increase as I get to learn more waters and more techniques.

BTW, Isaan stands for the Northeast part of Thailand. Isaan is a mix of Thai and Lao culture where 23 million Isaan people live where it makes finding unpressured waters difficult but they are there.

I found a lake back in 2004 when I was here last time that looked just awesome. I went out a couple of times on it before but didn’t realize what a jewel this lake actually was. It has nice clear water, unlike most other lakes around here.

Saturday I was on my quest for that trophy Giant Snakehead again and I saw him. I can’t tell you how much Giant Snakehead fishing reminds me of Musky fishing. The fish of 10,000 casts could also be the Giant Snakehead. It is a top of the line predator that takes a lot of persistance to catch. I know if I keep trying though, that I will get lucky and his jaws will run into my hooks at the right moment in time.

Well, it wasn’t going to happen this saturday either. I was amazed, as about a 15 lb. Giant Snakehead made a big swirl in the water at my topwater plug. I was in shock almost like buck fever as this awesome fish just missed my lure. My knees were knocking, my jaw dropped as my eyeballs pushed my glasses off my nose. I couldn’t believe it. Feelings of great disappointment and euphoria shot through my heart at the same time. I guess this is what keeps us coming back for more. After that happened I was thinking of you all and how awesome of a fish that would have been to show you all. Well, it will happen but not this time.

After 2 more smaller snakehead strikes and 3 Eye Spot Barbs boated, I moved to the other species present. I moved into the big Lilypads for some Nandid Perch and Pufferfish action. I found these 3 Thais beating up on them Nandids. They were nice enough to give me some shrimp for bait. It was cool to sight fish these little guys in the open pockets of Lilies.

I could have filled up a pail with these little guys. The biggest topped out at about 6 inches. They just don’t get very big.

And some more good Pufferfish action.

This is the lotus for these Lilypads. That thing in the center that looks like a shower head gets much bigger and is sold in the markets and eaten over here.

I also found a very good technique to beat up on them Garfish. They just can’t resist a minnow in front of them.

stuart
    Mn.

As always…WAY COOL…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.