Trophy Hunt turns into species buffet

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Generally, I am a Species-hunter first, then secondly a Trophy-hunter, and lastly I like mastering a species. This weekend was a Trophy hunt weekend for me with the new lakes I recently found, my target was the Giant Snakehead. After losing one two weeks ago, I just had the urge to catch one of these magnificent beasts. What started out as a Trophy hunt turned into a species buffet so I cannot complain about not getting any Giant Snakeheads. Three new lifelisters in a short time encouraged me.

Trying new water is always fun for me but this time it was using my friends boat with my trolling motor and a portable fish locator. I am sure this is the first time a sonar unit has ever been used on this lake before.

This is what the lake looks like. I caught a nice Eye-Spot Barb but no Snakeheads.

I did find a dead Gray Featherback floating on the water though. This was encouraging because I never knew they were in here. I at least know where to target them for next time.

So I loaded the boat and went to another place I know of not far down the road. We are at our lowest water level here this time of year.

I fished from this bridge in August (August is the highest water level) of 2004 and the water covered much of what you see. As I peered over the side and could see Gar and Rasboros swimming around. I knew it was worth a try. So back to the ant eggs and sure enough I was getting bites down in that dirty pool.

The first fish caught was this Climbing Perch. I then caught another one.

I then caught this Pufferfish. Two new lifelisters in the last 10 minutes of fishing because I had to get going soon. How cool is that?

Early Sunday morning I had a couple of hours to go fishing so I thought I would give this other pond a try. Again I started out Snakehead fishing but ended spending the last hour bottom rigging with ant eggs and they produced 3 Beardless Barbs; another new lifelister.

Maybe I should target trophies more often. Overall, it is an awesome learning experience everytime out; new water, new fish, and new methods.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Very interesting. Always look forward to your life list subjects

I have to ask, any poisonous creepy crawlies that you have to look out for when tromping through those wet lands. Anything that could make a meal out of you?

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Great report, it is alot of fun reading about how people fish in other country’s.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Very interesting. Always look forward to your life list subjects

I have to ask, any poisonous creepy crawlies that you have to look out for when tromping through those wet lands. Anything that could make a meal out of you?

We do have King Cobras over here so I do keep a look out but usually the snakes seem to want to stay away from me. I probably should be more careful but if I was too careful I wouldn’t have the impressive lifelist I currently have.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.