Sucker Runs

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Does anyone have any dates logged? I just feel it out every year and dont recall when it is. Seems like around or after Easter usually? I need to start keeping a log. I have a couple spots on the Namekagon River that have really worked out well. I got two last year(back to back) that had to be about as big as a redhorse gets. I need to take a scale and a camera this year.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Usually late-March to mid-April, depending upon the weather. I know some guys are catching a few, but they haven’t started running yet, from what I gather.

Quote:

I got two last year(back to back) that had to be about as big as a redhorse gets.

My dad sent me this photo last spring. He was a little heart-broken when I told him I was pretty sure he tossed a state record silver redhorse back. What a beautiful fish, though!

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

That spot looks familiar.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

That spot looks familiar.

It should My dad frequents that area in the spring.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That is exactly what I am talking about. I got two like that last year. Outrageous battle in current on 8 lb. Once I finally got them in I had to kick them onshore. I remember I couldn’t even grab them by the neck they were so huge. That’s why I need to take a scale and find out what I was into if I’m lucky enough to duplicate this year.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

A little note about Wisconsin fishing on suckers.
    River Redhorse and Greater redhorse are protected and not allowed for harvest so if you catch one it must go back in the water! That means the records in WI will stand for those two fish and also the Blues sucker that must be returned to the water. Last year on March 19th was my first good sucker trip of the year. We are about a week behind this year so I would look for it early April being great! I have caught a couple Silvers pushing 7 pounds and a few rivers 8-9 pounds but I have a mount of my buddies river red that went 10 pounds 1 once so they are out there. Glad to see some respect given to these beautiful native fish!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I caught a Redhorse on Zumbro last fall. I don’t think I’ve EVER been hooked up with a fish that moved as fast through the water as that one. It wasn’t a giant, maybe 3 or 4 pounds. But man what a fight! If those fish would jump once in a while they’d be the number one game fish in the world. Very exciting stuff. I wonder if they would take a fly?

Good luck Mike I hope you get into them!

Rootski

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Rootski they do take flies! They also do jump once in a while. Clam and nymph flies are popular to use with them. They fight great too!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Like Bonefish!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Geez! Sucker fishing just got complicated. Guess I wont keep anything. There’s no way I can identify all those varieties. I’ll just enjoy catching them like I always have.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Like Bonefish!

No foolin’! I have to find some suckers this spring. Sounds like this could be fun.

Rootski

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I am planning a get together with a bunch of fishing buddies in April if you 2 are interested I could pm you 2 when I get the details.

Also Suzuki I have a cheat sheet you could pickup from me sometime it is very helpful!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Sounds like fun!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sure. I know of a spot or 2 myself. I never keep any but there’s something about it. I’ve been attracted to sucker runs my whole life. I have one spot near the twin cities and of course the one near my cabin. I keep threatening to smoke them but always find an excuse to let them go. Lazy.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Sucker runs are fun for sure but are any of you aware that there is great Sucker fishing all throughout the summer and fall?

It is not too complicated to ID them Suckers once you caught a few. It is actually fun when you discover each species.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Sucker runs are fun for sure but are any of you aware that there is great Sucker fishing all throughout the summer and fall?

It is not too complicated to ID them Suckers once you caught a few. It is actually fun when you discover each species.

RIGHT ON MIKE!!!!!

Last year I learned some new techniques that really upped my large fish average and completely new styles I never have heard others using!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone still spear suckers. We used to do this all the time as kids. Bring them home by the bag fulls. Surprised none of us ever got speared the way we would chase them around the creeks.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Every spring in Elkader in N.E, Iowa the sucker run is huge. The town has a sucker contest and the biggest one wins I think a $50 cash prize. I fished there for a couple hours last spring and everybody was catching suckers. There was so many that I know two guys fishing could fill a garbage can with no trouble in 5 or 6 hrs, its one after another. A couple split shots, a no. 6 aberdeen hook and a small piece of nightcrawler is all thats needed. They don’t hit hard and you have to watch the line move a little then just set the hook. Most fish are 1 1/2 to 3 pounds, last spring a 5 pounder won the contest. I plan on going up when they run and get enough to can a couple dozen pints with a very good Bohemie recepie that a guy gave me, he had to take the jar from me because I was going to eat it all, delecious. Maybe I’ll smoke some too with some brown sugar and they should be great.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They are running in norther Wi.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.