Carp on cut bait?

• life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Anyone ever caught a carp on cut sucker? I was fishing Monday night with a friend and caught a big carp on a larger sucker with the head and tail cut off while fishing for channel cats. Never had that happen before and the guys thought it was strange too. What say you all?

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Corp on cut bait is not strange at all. Carp are opportunistic feeders. They will not pass up on a free meal!

I have caught carp on many things and nothing will really suprise me fishing.

See ya later Life!
    Aaron

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I caught a bruiser last year on the Minnesota on cut shad. He was about 15#… It was a surprise, for sure.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Good to know. I just found it strange being the bait was so big. But it was soft and kinda smelly.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

More amazing is that this spring my buddy caught a 5lb channel cat on corn..

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

More amazing is that this spring my buddy caught a 5lb channel cat on corn..

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I’ve caught cats on corn. I’m pretty convinced that cats will eat anything.

When I was a wee lad, my Grandpa and I would run trotlines on a small river in Nebraska. We baited up with whatever we had on hand… liver, corn, frogs/toads, grasshoppers, chicken guts, crawlers… once we even used some dead mice from the traps in the cabin. We caught cats on everything, and carp on almost everything.

That experience showed me that, when the fish are hungry enough, they’ll eat whetever they can get their mouths around. Grandpa used to say that cats will eat “anything that swims, sinks, floats, or stinks.”

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

I’ve caught carp on cut a few times. Mostly on shad, and they were all bruisers!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve said it before, but I cut open a channel when I was younger and found it full of cotton seeds. I wouldn’t be surprised to catch any fish that isn’t a pure predator on cut sucker. Then again, I’d call a pike a pure predator and I have caught them on cut sucker in the dead of summer. Winter and spring pike on cutbait isn’t as surprising, but summer for me is.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.