Micro-fishing bait tweezers

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

After spending more time baiting my hook while micro-fishing than actually fishing, I decided to make myself a pair of bait tweezers… so I picked up a $2 pair of tweezers and grabbed my Dremel.

I haven’t tried them yet, but I can’t figure but that they’re going to work like a dream.

Just figured I’d share. If anyone wants I can make a few more to share… should save a lot of time while fishing.

Will trade for the opportunity to fish with people who actually know what they’re doing.

lhprop1
    Eagan

What is micro fishing and what do you use those doo-hickeys for?

armchairdeity

Quote:

Micro-fishing is the direct opposite of big-game fishing.

The gear you use is infinitely tiny and the target species are a variety of MN’s own minnow and other small fish species.

In the pics are 3 different sizes of hooks I use, the 4th pic is of the biggest and the smallest split shot I have… all relative to a typical crappie jig for reference. The last pic is the floats I use for this shown next to a typical Thill slip bobber (usually weighted, but I’d removed the weights from this one) for panfish.

The two pics of fish are Mississippi river Redfin Shiners (near as I can tell, anyway, based on the MPCA website here, identified elsewhere as a redfin shiner) that I caught when I first started playing around with this.

It’s a lot of fun and a VERY different kind of fishing than anything I’d done before or since.

Having seen the hooks used, do the bait tweezers make more sense? Generally you cut a sliver off a nightcrawler for bait and getting it on a hook that small can be a nightmare… so using those bait tweezers can be a huge help to get the hook baited and back in the water.

Stinkyjoe

Hes totally holding that fish in to make it looks smaller

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

I just spit whiskey and water out my nose.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Good Idea ACD

Quote:

The act of Micro fishing has been around for a long time very common over in Japan and other Asian Countries. The name Micro Fishing was 1st used a few years ago when my buddies and I started fishing for minnows for the challenge of it. I was on the phone one day with one friend talking about our photos in which we use the Macro setting and I said how bout we just call it Micro Fishing. The name has really stuck and there is a guy who started a website blog just for it. Micro Fishing Website

There is also another guy who had a contact in Japan to get us better hooks than the ones we were using from fly shops that size 26 were really just too big. He fishes in a style called Tenkara. He has been an awesome supplier for us encouraging even more people to just have fun. Tenkara Bum with Micro Hooks

I am seeing the name pop up now and it is kind of cool people accepting fishing for minnows because the name Micro Fishing is much more inviting. Much of the fun is research, exploring, and ID. It is not for everyone but it can be fun and hones my other skills.

The last minnow posted by Armchair is a Spotfin Shiner.

The pic I posted is my prize! Darn near fits on a dime! Fathead minnow I think, it is kind of hard to ID that small.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

gonna need a lot of cheeks to make a meal

armchairdeity

Quote:

D*mn, I’m totally busted…

armchairdeity

Quote:

Good Idea ACD …

Thanks, Aaron. With fingers as big as mine, fumbling with a silver of crawler or waxworm is an excercise in futility.

I have ideas for a couple other styles/sizes. It may not seem like that big of a deal, but getting something like this “right” takes a few tries.

My latest micro take… sunfish YOY!

the pyromaniac

I want a pair… I’ve been getting into microfishing lately and could really use these!

wwayn720
    West central Wi

I hate to burst your bubble armchair but that fish you are holding is a spotfish shiner in breeding colors. If you happen to catch another one take a close look at the dorsal there is a dark spot about 2/3’s of the way back. On a lighter note a good place to find a variety of speicies suseptable to your micro gear is in small streams and dranage ditches anything from redbelly dace to mudminnows and even sticklebacks can be caught in these places. There are a few streams in your area that have redfin shiners which are fairly rare in MN.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

SMmouthHunter……Who are you? I am impressed you caught that it was a spotfin. If you look in my post I also said that at the end. Might I already know who you are?

armchairdeity

Thanks for the ID guys… I’ve wondered what that one was.

I need to take better pics with the dorsal, pectoral and anal fins all extended.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

The BIG question is do you practice CPR ???????

armchairdeity

Quote:

The BIG question is do you practice CPR ???????

wwayn720
    West central Wi

Outdoors4life: It’s possible that we have crossed paths I,ve done some fisheries work on the big river as well as other places. Send me a PM if want to discuss anything else.

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

I have never seen or heard of this before. How cute are those little itybity hooks. Sounds like fun. I bet you have to get used to setting the hook without tearing their faces off.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.