Shovelnose Sturgeon

• swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

We were on the Minnesota for about 3 hours this evening and landed 7 sturgeon, all on crawlers. These guys were fun, as soon as we set the hook the came up from the bottom in about 4-6 fow and did their little tail walk like their big cousins.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Where’s the stink bait!? LOL!

They are some cuties! And what a great day to be soaking up some sun in between showers!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Cool! They are on my bucket list.

kruger
    Metro,mn

Quote:

Cool! They are on my bucket list.

They are everywhere down by Bloomington. We get at least one every other outing. Make the short drive and cross it off the list

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You wouldn’t mind sending me a PM, would you? I generally don’t beg for spots, only let people offer it up on their own, but I’ll beg for a shovelnose.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

Pug, I’d be happy to point you to some spots if you are ever in the Mankato area. The St. Peter to New Ulm stretch is full of these guys. Look for fast current, with sand or gravel bottoms.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

Here is another Shovelnose from this weekend Measured around 30″ tip to tail, I’d guess about 3 lbs. Some guy in Mankato caught what he claimed was a 8 lb shovel, but I don’t buy it, at least from the picture in the local newspaper, Free Press- it looked more in the 4-5 lb range to me.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

State record is like 5.2#… I call BS on the guy who told you that.

They are REALLY fun to catch… I’ve caught several accidentally while fishing for channels. They have spirit and if you’re not careful they have razor blades, too!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.