Escapees from the Funny Farm

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

I would like to warn everyone to watch out for a couple of our residence at our special institution.

The first one goes by the name of Fiddle. Fiddle is usually relaxed but prone to outbursts of anger without his medication. All Fiddle talks about is Micro-fishing in a bipolar way.

This one goes by the name of Cast. Cast is missing his padded helmet so do not startle him if you see him. Cast has an unhealthy and unbalanced thought process regarding what he calls “his lifelist.”

Neither one is any harm to the public but only to themselves. If you happen to see them, please call us at 1-800-NUT-CASE to reunite them with their padded cells. This is a public service announcement. Thank you.

In all seriousness, who in the world would go micro fishing, in single digits, out of an ice shack, through the ice, on a small creek? I couldn’t help feeling a little insane as I met up with Mark today. This would be crazy to most of the angling world but I had a blast.

The target was the Central Stoneroller and we saw several but missed our opportunity to catch one. The coolest thing was observing fish behavior of Micros and Roughfish. A large hole cut in the ice made the sight fishing most enjoyable.

I may have missed my Stoneroller but I caught several firsts through the ice that I never dreamed possible.

Here are a few firsts for me through the ice.

Wow! What a great time I had. And then when I get home, I turned on the tv and there was an intro for In-Fisherman regarding Stange and Dave Genz. With that deep announcer voice it went something like this: “And these guys chase everything that swims.” I thought my head was going to explode! I shouted back at the tv with, “NO YOU DON’T!!!!!!!! STANGE AND GENZ, YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MICROS THROUGH THE ICE OR EVEN ROUGHFISH FOR THAT MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?! Quit misleading us by saying that you guys “CHASE EVERYTHING THAT SWIMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” What a joke!!! I and a few others on this site chase everything that swims. That’s who really does. I used to like In-Fisherman as a kid but I am having a harder time watching this show. Thanks for enduring my rant.

josh a

you must have missed the episode where doug stange went shore fishing on a river in the spring time for the elusive redhorse sucker. Apparently there one of his favorite fish to eat.

“nothing beats the white flaky meat of a sucker in the spring” doug stange

thegun
    mn

sure i saw that episode so we gt a bunch and smoked them! the meat is great! The problem is there are bones in every ounce of meat! the wife loved it but after spending hours deboning the meat after it had been smoked!

I got a (DONT EVER KEEP THEM AGAIN!)

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Interesting looking fish!

I hate when people play on-line game warden so I’ll just ask. Can you angle for fish through a hole that size?

I had a house on Lake Waconia way, way back and had a hole that size. After researching it, I believe I found that I was illegal in MN. I see your in WI so this may not apply and this was soooooooo long ago the rules may have changed.

Just asking!! I’ll go take a look in the regs to see. You can spear through holes that size, but I thought angling through the ice was limited to a certain diameter hole.??

ET

Ok, found it in frequently asked questions on WI DNR site.

“How large of a hole can I make in the ice?

Up to 12 inches, but no larger.”

More, from spearing regs,

“cut, use, or maintain an ice hole larger than 12 inches in diameter or square for the

taking of fish in any manner through the ice except taking fish with dip nets or skin or

scuba diving, taking minnows with minnow traps, spearing on Lake Superior, or sturgeon spearing on Lake Winnebago system waters.”

more “Spearing Ice Hole Restriction: No person may cut, use, or maintain an ice hole larger

than 12 inches in diameter or square for the taking of fish in any manner through the

ice except spearing on Lake Superior, skin or scuba diving, or sturgeon spearing on the

Lake Winnebago system.”

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

I had a house on Lake Waconia way, way back and had a hole that size. After researching it, I believe I found that I was illegal in MN. I see your in WI so this may not apply and this was soooooooo long ago the rules may have changed.

Just asking!! I’ll go take a look in the regs to see. You can spear through holes that size, but I thought angling through the ice was limited to a certain diameter hole.??

ET

Ok, found it in frequently asked questions on WI DNR site.

“How large of a hole can I make in the ice?

Up to 12 inches, but no larger.”

More, from spearing regs,

“cut, use, or maintain an ice hole larger than 12 inches in diameter or square for the

taking of fish in any manner through the ice except taking fish with dip nets or skin or

scuba diving, taking minnows with minnow traps, spearing on Lake Superior, or sturgeon spearing on Lake Winnebago system waters.”

more “Spearing Ice Hole Restriction: No person may cut, use, or maintain an ice hole larger

than 12 inches in diameter or square for the taking of fish in any manner through the

ice except spearing on Lake Superior, skin or scuba diving, or sturgeon spearing on the

Lake Winnebago system.”

We were actually fishing in MN and they just changed the law a few years ago to be able to fish hook and line through a spear hole. So yes, we were legal.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

you must have missed the episode where doug stange went shore fishing on a river in the spring time for the elusive redhorse sucker. Apparently there one of his favorite fish to eat.

Yea, I must have missed that one. Fair enough. I just came unglued when I contrasted the insanity of micro and rough fishing through the ice on purpose with their episode of Bluegill fishing through the ice preceeded by such an audacious statement as that.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

Quote:

you must have missed the episode where doug stange went shore fishing on a river in the spring time for the elusive redhorse sucker.

I have searched and searched for that episode online. I enjoyed it. Didn’t Doug start the show fishing a small river for channel cats? I watched it ages ago but now it appears that it was pulled down.?. Anyone have a link???

I think it was called “Combat Catfishing.”

thx

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

If it is the episode I am thinking of, I caught it years ago on TV and they started out fishing the Snake River in MN for channels. He had the chef from a local restaurant with him.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

Not sure. He was walking along a small stream with a mesh basket. He had cut bait in a ziplock bag… using eagle claw J shaped hooks. At one point his basket floats downriver. He was fishing alone. Then it cut to him fishing redhorse. I remember he mentioned his favorite model number of Eagle claw hooks and that out of all his years he never broke or straightened one. hhhmmm…….

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Think Eagle Claw was a sponsor at that time?

That is definitely not my experience with their hooks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.