Carp Advice?

• MrFisherMan
    Minnesota

I started to carp fish last year at my dad’s apartment on the Mississippi and at the Coon Rapids dam. I love the way that carp fight and i fish for them with light tackle(which makes it more entertaining). I was hoping for a few pointers on how to land more carp, what gear to use, what bait, and where to fish for big carp. A few different opinions than my own would help me greatly. Thanks!

tvfishermn

I am not a carp expert, but I just attened a seminar last week. The two basic baits that were talked about were maze and a prepaired bait ball that can be purchased. These are fished with what is called a hair rig where the bait is not on the hook. Chumming with a rolled oats and maze mixture will help bring carp to you. Google carp fishing and you will be overwelmed with the amout of information available.
    Good luck in your quest.

Rodney Bondele

tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

The carp are plentiful on the Mississippi. I use corn or night crawlers with a slip rig. It seems to work just fine. If you are after the big ones I would explore any lakes in your area that have them, it seems the bigger fish are easier to find in lakes IMO.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I’ve had good luck with corn and Uncle Josh’s Carp bait fwiw

Al

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I have the best luck with corn in lakes, crawlers in rivers. I use a smallish hook, somewhere in the neighborhood of #4 to #8, on a flouro leader with a sliding weight.

They are spawning around here now, but once they’re done with that silliness they’ll be hungry.

Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.