Sucker run!

• swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

The suckers are really running in Southern MN. We spent about 5 hrs on a tributary to the MN River Saturday and we went through about 60 worms. I’d guess we caught somewhere around 70 bullheads and about 20 suckers. It was one of those days where we stopped counting after the first hour. We landed about 6 the size of the one pictured and many smaller ones. We also landed one carp and a lone pike. Hammered gold spinners with a crawler harness on a slip sinker worked well, but I think any sharp object on the end of the line would have landed fish that day.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hey that’s me! Great day to sit in the sun. Good multi species day with suckers, bullies (fill the bait tank!), chubs, perch, carp, and even a northern thrown in!

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

we used to catch 40 or 50 of them and pickle them. wonderful. the recipe was my grandmother’s secret… she died without telling any of her daughters!!!

in the winter we’d spear the carp on the straight river and smoke them. lotsa fun.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Ah, that is one fine fishing hole That is where I used to fill my bait tank with bullies too. I recognize the cement wall and rocks in the background

Not sure if you have tried the side of the cement wall, but if you put a float rig within 6 inches of the wall, you can usually pull out some nice gills too when the flow is like this.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Here’s a couple more from this day:

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I might have to use mother’s day as an excuse to get to the northern suburbs and hit my spring sucker spot in Coon Rapids. We have to be about 2 weeks behind schedule (wishful thinking) which would put me on the redhorse.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.