rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

High-finned carp sucker??

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

2nd carp sucker!!

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I first thought carp sucker with the tall spine on the dorsal, but it had red fins, kinda hard to see on the picture.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

From online photos it may be a quillback carp sucker. The show it with reddish fin tips in the photos.

Mwal

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

99% certain it’s a common carp. Did it have barbels?

blackbay

I’ll see your 99% and raise you 1%. I’m 100% sure it is a regular everyday common carp.

Sorry it’s not a redhorse.

Now wash that stink off your hands.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

No barbels on this one. I see some here are of the “it’s not a walleye so it must be a Carp” school.

blackbay

Quote:

No barbels on this one. I see some here are of the “it’s not a walleye so it must be a Carp” school.

Sorry, but it looks like a carp in the first picture. I don’t see a long first dorsal ray for me to say it’s a carpsucker. It actually looks like it has a dorsal spine but the picture isn’t great for identification. The second picture is better and is a redhorse although without seeing the mouth it’s hard so say for certain which flavor.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

After I got home I realized the picts weren’t too good for an ID, but the action was so hot and them buggers wouldn’t hold still for a photo. I’m gonna hit it up again this evening and see what else is running in there.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Those aren’t great photos to ID from, but #1 is a carp and #2 is a little tougher to tell from the photos. Get a photo of the mouth and the dorsal fin and it will be much easier.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

900% sure both are carp.

No doubt about it.

*EDIT*

The body is all wrong in the second pic for it to be a redhorse. Once you do a lot of ID on different fish you can look at them and know what they are. I do not need better pics to ID both as small common carp. SOmetimes the barbel on small carp are so small they are hard to find. It is a different strain. But I will say again no doubt on the ID of both as common carp.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

After looking at the second pic again, I concur with carp. That thick tail section (caudal peduncle, I think) is a dead giveaway.

Oh, and I’d trust just about anything Outdoors4Life says about roughfish. He’s a guru!

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

If you look really close in the first picture you can see that there’s a really elongated first spine on the dorsal fin… it’s really hard to see unless you look really close.

That’s no common carp… I don’t care what kind of guru you are you can’t make a sheep into a llama just by saying so.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Sorry, there is no doubt in my mind that #1 is a common carp.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

If you look really close in the first picture you can see that there’s a really elongated first spine on the dorsal fin… it’s really hard to see unless you look really close.

That’s no common carp… I don’t care what kind of guru you are you can’t make a sheep into a llama just by saying so.

I see that you just want to find something different. It is no llama it is a sheep.

Quilback Carpsucker

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a common carp with a jacked up dorsal fin.

armchairdeity

Quote:

Quote:

I see that you just want to find something different. It is no llama it is a sheep.

Quilback Carpsucker

Just to clarify, I said that, not Goatsie…

And your good picture just reinforces the fact that the fish in the first photo is the same species. Headshape, matches. Body shape and proportions match. It’s the same kind of fish.

Maybe it helps to blow it up to full screen on a 27″ LCD… but that’s definitely the same species you have in this picture.

Sorry. I’ll go back to my catfishing bretheren now… I just can’t resist a good controversy. At least with cats in MN we don’t have any issues ID’ing things… well, unless you count brown, yellow and black bullheads.

THEY’RE NOT EVEN REAL CATFISH.

Yes they are!

See now you guys have me arguing with myself, dammit…

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

ArmchairDeity Better get out and catch the blue cats of MN.

And I know it was you not Goat. I sent him a PM to invite him to catch some redhorse. I care to help others learn that are willing not the ones that think they know all. In return I learn from everyone I fish with.

armchairdeity

Quote:

ArmchairDeity Better get out and catch the blue cats of MN.

And I know it was you not Goat. I sent him a PM to invite him to catch some redhorse. I care to help others learn that are willing not the ones that think they know all. In return I learn from everyone I fish with.

Seriously, dude… I don’t claim to know jack about rough fish. I’ve caught about 4 carp in my life. God knows I’d love to get some experience. In fact I posted in this very forum asking for assistance getting educated about small stream fishing in MN because you guys always have interesting fish on… but you didn’t respond to that thread.

I would _love_ to learn from you… you’re arguably one of if not the most capable small stream fishermen I have ever come across. I just take issue with this one particular ID, and only based on comparing the suspect photo to your photo.

And all I’m really saying is that, based on geometry, proportion, and stuff, it LOOKS to me like it’s the same species of fish… because I know I know jack about the under-appreciated and “under-utilized” species in our state’s waterways.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I checked the roughfish.com id picts, and they are indeed common carp with nice coloration.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

One hard thing is even in carp there are variations of color shape ect ect. I have caught carp that have a fan tail like a fancy goldfish. The fun of fishing the river is all the species you can catch.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a common carp with a jacked up dorsal fin.

BINGO!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t care what any of you say, they are all carp, rough fish, junk fish, bottom feeders and sewer suckers!

And I love them all, no matter what they look like.

This is a smallmouth buffalo, right? How about the dorsal on that second one.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yeah, I was just posting pictures to prove that once in a while I catch fish.

armchairdeity

Sorry for all the ruckus, didn’t mean to seem like a know-it-all… once in a while I get carried away and start believing my own PR. I defer to the experts in fish ID, especially with fish I know nothing about.

My bad. I’ll do better next time, I promise.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Got it Pugman!
    1st is a SM Buff
    2nd is a carp and yes a oversized dorsal

Armchair man we’ll get you out sometime and I would be glad to show you in person some ID helpers.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.