Rough fish photos 2011

• jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Might as well get this thing started. Tis the season!
    Got out for an early check of one of may favorite big fish spots, river was higher than I’ve ever seen it. Managed one nice fish in cold runoff water. Should be a couple weeks before things really start poppin’

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Nice! What do you estimate the weight at on that beast?

tigermusky
    St. Louis Park

Awesome fish! Can’t wait till my spot heats up in Anoka.

stuart
    Mn.

March 03 22.8 lb Mirror carp bit a chartrues jig and minnow combo,Walleyeben is the lucky angler.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Here is what I believe is a white sucker I caught today. Weighed about a pound.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yep, white sucker. Nice!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The white suckers are running right now on the Turkey river in N.E. Iowa. I’m going to try to make it up and get a few to can, thier suppoese to run for the next two weeks. This is a good sucker run as I’ve fished it in the past, its one after another and all day long. A big one is 3 pounds and theres thousands of them below the dam in Elkader Iowa.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Got a bunch of redhorse today with a few oddballs mixed it. I caught my second hogsucker–I was thrilled when I saw it! They don’t get that big, but I just think they’re cool fish!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Wow Ryan, you catch that locally (TC)? I have only ever seen them in the MN River system.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Definitely one of the coolest sucker/carp species you can catch. I’ll be happy if I ever get one whether it is 20″ or 6″.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Wow Ryan, you catch that locally (TC)? I have only ever seen them in the MN River system.

No, it came from a Southern MN river.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

First one I’ve ever seen Ralph, pretty cool fish. I’ve never seen one down here, atleast I don’t think so.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I caught a couple last year in the Mankato area. It was the first time I’d seen them in this area. I think the increase in specie diversity is a good sign for the MN river system. Loads of perch spawning up the small creeks too. Here’s a nice white sucker and a pike that hit my crawler harness on Monday.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Goat, you ever catch a lake sturgeon up that far on the Minni? A real good sign will be seeing lakers, although I don’t know if they have ever…

Google and thou shall find

I saw a dead one a few years back floating DT St Paul. Maybe by the time I hit 65 pool 2 and the Minnesota could have fishable populations with the river cleaning up and pressure off. I know, I am dreaming.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

That’s interesting Pug. So are they saying they actually sampled one in the MN below Granite Falls?

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I’ve never seen one, but the DNR did a presentation on their survey results from the MN. I guess they did find one by Montevideo, WAY up the MN. We catch lots of shovelnose, but never a laker. The first shovel I caught was in 2001, and was as long as my inseam at 34″. I’ve never caught one close to that size since. Most are in the 12-18″ range.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Almost a record!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Got a bunch of redhorse today with a few oddballs mixed it. I caught my second hogsucker–I was thrilled when I saw it! They don’t get that big, but I just think they’re cool fish!

Nice hognose. I used to catch a fair amount of them on the Mississippi river north of Aitkin. We would have some tremendous sucker fishing up there in the fall. Used to get good runs of the suckers with the crazy scale patterns this time of year. Cant remember what they are called.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I was out last evening and the white suckers were running. I also caught the first bullheads of the season. Wound up with 7 bullies and 5 suckers for the bait tank. I turned loose 3 suckers in the 14-16″ range. Oh, and one slimy pike.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

My personal best goldeye. 18″ 2.51 lbs. this one took the hook in the gills so it went into the freezer for cut bait.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Wow! Nice!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

For real Joe! That is truly a monster goldeye. Most caught don’t even get to half that size!

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I know! If I had a bit of extra $$ I’d mount that mutha and hang it on my wall! It’s in the freezer now, was gonna use it for cut bait, but now I’m not so sure.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

If you were to mount it I would highly recommend Josh Knuth! He specializes in underutilized fish. I have a River Redhorse he did for me that was over 10 pounds. I have seen many mounts from him and he is amazing. I just got a drawing of a white sucker head as a contest prize. Reasonable prices too. He would probably recommend a Replica since the skin is so fragile on them.

Josh Knuth Art

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

I know! If I had a bit of extra $$ I’d mount that mutha and hang it on my wall! It’s in the freezer now, was gonna use it for cut bait, but now I’m not so sure.

Take measurments all around to make a replica. Then cut the baby and proceed to catch the new state record channel cat with it

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.