Rookie Snap Weight Question

• Rich Stuhr
    South Dakota

I have been running planer boards for years but have never tried pulling cranks with snap weights before and want to add the 50+2 method to my arsenal. I recently downloaded the Precision Trolling app to get dive curves for some new lures and see that all of their snap weight charts utilize the Off Shore guppy shaped weights for their data…problem is they are sold out everywhere I have checked. My question is whether or not the weight’s actual design between given weights dramatically impacts dive depth (i.e. drag coefficient)? I am able to find the Cabelas Advanced Angler style weights available, can I expect similar dive curves with 2 ounce weights shaped like a bowling pin instead of a guppy?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Yea, shape impacts resistance, which impacts depth. It can be a very minimal difference, or more significant. Most of what I do is on lake mi for trout/salmon. Long and skinny has been more true in depth vs the bank sinker style.

Speed also is a variable. I’m usually in the 2.3 to 3.0 range

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Is this what you are using?

This chart is based off of Off-Shore’s Snap Weight System…Which is red clips and tear drop sinkers.

Attachments:
    1. 50-50.jpg

Karry Kyllo

I think you guys are overthinking it. I’ve been using snapweights pulling cranks for walleyes for quite a few years now and if the shape of the weight makes a difference, I’ve found that it’s negligible. You’ll be in the zone you want to be in no matter the shape of the weight. A foot higher or lower really isn’t going to make a difference. If you look at the chart that FishBlood&River attached, the depths can vary at every speed by up to 4 feet, so it’s not a perfect science.
    Of course speed is a variable as Randy points out as it is when trolling with leadcore but it’s a good thing because all you have to do is speed up to raise your cranks if you stray into shallow water.
    Snapweights are easy to use and I’ve caught alot of walleyes using them. The biggest thing is to repeat what you are doing once you start catching fish and fine tune your presentation from there.

Rich Stuhr
    South Dakota

Thanks for the input! The Precision Trolling app is pretty cool regarding boat speed for the 50+2 method and has different curves in .25 mph increments from 1.25 mph up to 3.0 mph.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.