Rod Recommendations for Rippin Raps

• Buckeye1

Looking for advice for rod length, weight and action for jigging Rippin Raps size 6 and 7.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

7’ Medium Fast.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

line???

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

MXF, feel I have more control with bait. I can snap it slower if I want that, but with fast action it gets tough to get more snap out of softer action if that makes sense.

dairycat

MXF for me too! Makes it easy to work the RR’s.

Buckeye1

Most likely 10# suffix braid

buschman
    Pool 2

I have been using an 13 omen black 7’1″ medium action with the RR..

I have an 7 ft medium fast action St Croix Avid and like the Omen much better for the ripping raps. It has a tad more power and has just works better for me.

curleytail

I used #6 Rippin Raps for the 1st time last weekend, but I threw them on a rod I built myself. 6’8″ MXF Rainshadow Immortal walleye series blank with Pac Bay Minima guides.

I thought it worked very well for them. With braid it was sensitive enough to feel the rap hit a sandy bottom on the fall, and the medium power and extra fast action gave me good control over how fast or slow I wanted to work the bait.

Tucker

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I just picked up a G Loomis E6X last weekend and am really impressed. It is a 7’1” MH XF. So far I really like it with #6 and #7 rippin raps.

It’s paired with a Shimano Stratic Ci4 and 20# power pro super slick.

Buckeye1

Thanks guys. I tried a Scheels 6’8″ MXF last weekend. Rod felt nice but the Albright knot for the leader kept catching pretty bad. So I am going to try a few different knots this weekend in yard. If still catching rod will go back.

CBMN
    North Metro

I use a medium xf for 5’s and 6’s but actually use a medium heavy for 7’s. As buschman said above some medium rods are a bit light and I actually preffer a rod that is a bit stiffer than most. I almost never use a fluro or mono leader either. Usually an agressive reaction bite for me and i dont think the line matters much. I will say most of my ripping rap fishing is in relatively dirty water. Rivers or stained flowages.

curleytail

If you leader is catching try the FG knot. It’s basically only as thick as the braid wrapped around the leader material. May feel a very slight tick reeling in but nothing on the way out.

Unless the rod has very very small guides passing leaders with that knot should be no problem. It’s a very strong knot too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.