Rod mounting systems?

• Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I’m looking to add some rod holders to the boat, problem is, not sure what kind I want to install. I’ve been researching a little and have found the Cisco fishing systems. Very nice but I think they are quite a bit more than I want to spend. I do like the track systems but I’m not sure which ones to look at other than Cisco or Traxstech. I like the idea of the flush mounted ones from Scotty or Cabelas but not sure I want to drill that big of a hole in my boat. I have a 1999 Fisher FX18DV that has plenty of room on top of the sides. I like the idea of a 2 “tree” system. Any input is appreciated. Mostly used for trolling cranks. I currently only have one flush mount up by the drivers seat but wouldn’t mind having something that I don’t have to drill such a big hole in my boat and the option to move it if necessary.

Attachments:
    1. Fisher2.jpg

2. Fisher.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think no matter what, vertical rod trees are going to cost you $200-300 each. I absolutely love my Traxstech trees, but at $300 each, you don’t have any money left to buy rods to put in them.

I do believe Scotty/Cabelas has a plastic horizontal rod tree for about $100 each. I think they would fit I your existing flush mount too. Maybe google scotty trees and see what you get.

Even with $400 savings, I’d go with my vertical trees every time.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Have you considered a rail on each side allowing you flexibility on holder locations?

The track systems are the best option I think.

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I would definitely want one on each side, that’s what’s killing me about the cost of the Traxtech/Cisco stuff. If I knew for sure that this would be the boat I would fish out of for the rest of my life, I probably wouldn’t be so hesitant. I think I’m leaning towards getting the Ranger style rails and using either the Scotty or Ram rod holders, makes me nervous not knowing exactly where to put these yet as it’s a newer boat to me.

I will have to look at the vertical one from Scotty! Looks interesting!

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

Just looking at this one and if your plan is to use the holder for trolling, I would be concerned with the drag of multiple rods on the (plastic?) base piece acting as a long lever possibly breaking and losing the all three rigs plus the holder. I could be wrong.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

Found this too. It must be new.
    http://www.scotty.com/fishing-
    gear-equipment/rod-holders/rod-holder-tree.htm%5B/quote%5D

I agree! I thought of that as well. Would make me nervous. I think I’ve decided to add the ranger hand rails and go with the RAM mounting system. Still expensive but what in fishing isn’t! LOL

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Take a close look at the mounting base. It is not the same as the normal rod holder base. It appears much more heavy duty and possibly aluminum. I’d be very surprised if the product was not well built.

With that said, I know for sure the Traxstech are very well built.

Here’s my boat rigged.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2980.jpg

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

Nice looking boat! What do you suppose that whole setup costs? If you don’t mind me asking.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Including the boat?

Here’s how it all breaks down based on how I acquired everything.

Boat+motor+trailer= $12,500
    Kicker motor+throttle control= $1300
    Minnkota Terrova= $1800
    Traxstech items= $1000
    Lowrance graphs= $3000
    Deep cycle batteries= $350
    Downriggers= $700

All in all, a little over $20k.

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I appreciate that. Does the $1000 for the Traxstech include the downriggers? Or is that just for the trees and the track?
    Also, did you thru bolt the track or use screws? I have no possible way of getting a plate and nut on underneath the gunnel.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Basically the total I paid all Traxstech items.

2) Trees
    2) rod holders
    4) tracks
    2) dr mounts
    2) cup holders
    4) track end caps
    2) backer plates

I through bolted them with backup plates and highly recommend doing the same. Might want to check with some of the IDO staff that works at Skeeter Boat Center to see what they do in a situation like yours.

You may have to drill an access hole to do it. If you’re going to keep the boat for a long time, drilling holes in the boat should be less of a concern. That way resale value really won’t be affected.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I have traxtech tracks on my boat. They are as solid as it gets. Nothing better that I have seen. DO NOT screw them down to the gunwale!!! They need to be bolted with backer plates. That is any brand of tracks, not just traxtech. If it involves cutting a access hole and installing a access cover, do it. It is cheaper than replacing equipment that went into the drink.

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

I built my own trees for under $100, they are a nessessity for salmon/walleye trolling

Attachments:
    1. 20160727_122554.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I might be a little low on the $1000 for everything. Maybe more like $1200-1400. Pricy but there’s nothing to dislike about them. I could send another $1500 in a heartbeat if I had it.

3x trees are about $300 each
    2x trees are about $250 each

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

Ouch, I’m not sure I want to drill an access hole at all but it sounds like I might need too. I did talk with a rep from Cisco and he told me that I could use a 3M 550FC along with the screws and I should be fine. He said not to use Down riggers but I don’t plan on doing that anyway. I’m going to have to brave the cold and go look at the boat tonight to see if there is any way possible to get underneath it for bolts. I appreciate the feedback!
    Thank you

CaptainMusky

Bert’s Custom Tackle is another option. Similar to Traxstech, but I think the pricing is a bit lower.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Cutting a access hole is nothing, you could install a speaker in them and upgrade your stereo system at the same time. The access covers don’t look bad. They are flush and have a screw in cap for easy access in the future, like to check tightness of the bolts every spring. It sounds to me that the sales rep is just trying to sell you a product with no regard to the amount of torque that a track sustains. Screws and no backer plates will be a disaster down the road, just my opinion and years of experience with a track system.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It really depends on the thickness and construction of your gunnel. If you don’t plan to use trees, I’m absolutely sure the recommendation you received would be just fine. There is very little force applied to the rod holder when trolling. That’s why plastic rod holders work.

Although, the vertical trees WILL be used as a handrail and used to keep your balance in the boat. I have my hand on my almost constantly when trolling. It’s saved me countless times from going in the drink.

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I really appreciate the feedback. After more crawling around in really tight places that I wish I had someone a lot smaller than I, I did find access to go underneath. I’ve ordered the Cisco track and a good buddy of mine is an excellent welder and had some aluminum pipe that we will make into the trees. I’ll try to post pics if I get it done soon. Getting ready for an early April trip to Erie!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.