Rod action for pitching crank baits

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

This morning I found some active Walleyes on a wingdam. I was pitching a crank bait with a fast action bait caster and 10/2 Power Pro. I never got bit on top of the dam, rather the Walleyes were following the crank bait all the way to the boat and swiping at it right in front of me. I’d have them on for a few seconds and then the hooks would pull out. It’s all part of the game I guess, but I’m wondering if a slower action rod would have made it easier for the Walleye to pull the bait into their mouth?

Thanks

SR

Jake Thelen
    Medford, MN

Yeah, either try a rod with some more give or a line with some stretch to it. They were probably just shaking off.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Rodworks built me a great rod for pitching cranks. It’s built just for cranks on dams. I’m sure he can chime in on the details but it’s moderate-fast action.

As for walleyes chasing…try speeding up the retrieval. You can really burn those baits once they get off the rocks and the walleyes will hit them harder.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Figure 8 those cranks boats side to.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The rod I made for Matt was focused on pitching JSR at wingdams with braided line. One thing Matt did mention was he wanted the rod to have a nice sweeping hookset to it. I am sure that was to help with the problem you are having Steve. I went with a Medium heavy, Moderate fast action 7’-0” blank. I would prefer 7’-6” but that didn’t fit in his rod locker. You can go with a fast blank if there is not too much power in the tip section. Like Thelen said, having a slower blank or line with some stretch would help.

LabDaddy1

Yeah, either try a rod with some more give or a line with some stretch to it. They were probably just shaking off.

This. If you do use a fast action with braid you can just set the drag lighter than usual. It takes less force than you think to bury the hooks, especially with that combination.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll be back down there better prepared next time.

SR

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.